Can I Find the MS Word CD Key After Reinstalling Windows XP?

• Thread starter pmb_phy
  • Start date
In summary, the person had their MS Word wiped out after formatting their C drive and reinstalling Windows XP. They are now looking for a way to retrieve the KEY to reinstall the program. Two possible solutions were suggested - contacting Microsoft and trying keys from friends' copies. The conversation was then ended with a suggestion to use Google for further help.
pmb_phy
When I formatted my C drive and reinstalled windows XP my MS Word was, of course, wiped out too. But it turns out that I can't find the KEY for me to reinstall it. Is there a way to find this from perhaps some of the documents that I wrote with it? Is there anything I can do? I sure can't afford a new copy.

Pete

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hi,
One of the 2 ways I can suggest is to contact Microsoft, and ask what should you do in this case...
The second way is to try the KEYs from some of your friends' copies. I think it may help as one disc can have several acceptable keys, not just one.
Don't know if any of these ways is usable... But let's try it! :)
Viet Dao,

I'm going to lock this thread, but all I'll say is google is your friend.

What is a CD key and why is it important for MS Word?

A CD key, also known as a product key or activation key, is a unique code used to prove that a copy of software is legitimate and authorized for use. It is important for MS Word because without it, the software cannot be installed or activated.

Where can I find the CD key for MS Word after reinstalling Windows XP?

If you have the physical copy of MS Word, the CD key can usually be found on the back of the installation CD case or on a sticker attached to the manual. If you purchased MS Word online, the CD key may have been sent to you via email or can be found in your online account.

Can I retrieve the CD key from my old Windows XP installation?

Yes, if you still have access to your old Windows XP installation, there are several ways to retrieve the CD key. You can use a free key finder program, check the Windows registry, or contact Microsoft support for assistance.

What should I do if I cannot find my MS Word CD key after reinstalling Windows XP?

If you are unable to find your CD key, you can try contacting Microsoft support for assistance. They may be able to help you retrieve your key if you can provide proof of purchase. If all else fails, you may need to purchase a new copy of MS Word.

Is it possible to use MS Word without a CD key?

No, a CD key is required to install and activate MS Word. Without a valid CD key, the software cannot be used. It is important to keep your CD key in a safe place to avoid any issues with reinstalling or using MS Word in the future.