What areas of math should you know before studying Calculus?

In summary, before getting into Calculus, it is important to have a strong foundation in Algebra, Geometry, and Trigonometry. These areas of mathematics will be used extensively in Calculus and being familiar with them will make it easier to understand and apply concepts. It is also recommended to have a solid understanding of differentiation before tackling integrals. It is not advisable to jump into Calculus without having a strong grasp on these foundational topics. Additionally, if any difficulties arise during preparation, seeking help from others, such as members on PF, can be beneficial. As for the specific book mentioned, "Calculus and Analytic Geometry 1" by Thomas/Addison-Wesley, it may be outdated and it is recommended to use more recent textbooks
Holocene
I just joined, looks like a great forum here!

After being out of school for 5 years, I'm looking to get back into college. It looks like pretty much everything is Calculus-based. What areas of mathematics should I study, and know cold, before getting into Calculus?

Algebra? Geometry? Trigonometry?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
All the above. A lot of calculus is applying a theorem and then working the equation with algebra. It also helps to be familiar with trig, because the functions and properties are used and it is expected that you know them. Also, it doesn't hurt to know geometry, especially for the trig.

all professors agree on this : ALGEBRA!

mathwonk said:
all professors agree on this : ALGEBRA!

QFT

"Quoted for truth"

(Just in case someone thinks I'm implying the OP should learn Quantum Field Theory first :rofl: )

The minimum is Intermediate Algebra and Trigonometry.

Trigonometry is NOT required, merely beneficial.

What IS required is a proficiency in algebra so that you can focus on the IDEAS of calculus, rather than get daunted&distracted by necessary algebraic manipulations.

Algebra, especially addition and multiplication etc of fractions & variables. How to expand and simplify, power rules,log rules. How to manipulate and graph results. Rearrangement of equations. All vital, plus SOH CAH TOA is handy for a basis for the trig rules you will learn in calculus. Trig identities are a significant part of the course usually so it's helpfull to know the basics.

Most important I think is to not get to caught up early on on the whys and wherfores of the rules in calculus, once you can apply them fine, but just follow them until you are fluent in there use and then you will start to see why they work anyway.

Always tackle differentiation before integrals: this should be part of your course anyway but you really do need to understand dif before you do integrals, you'll see what I mean when you study it. Integrals are a bit more tricky and they take a bit more practice, there also about a lot of knowledge you will have picked up in differentiation. Where as in differentitation you'll find there is almost always a solution at least at your level, in integration there isn't always, and you may have to use other means to integrate.

Last edited:
Holocene said:
I just joined, looks like a great forum here!

After being out of school for 5 years, I'm looking to get back into college. It looks like pretty much everything is Calculus-based. What areas of mathematics should I study, and know cold, before getting into Calculus?

Algebra? Geometry? Trigonometry?

Thanks a lot!
Excellent question!
Algebra and Geometry =the most important base for successful study of Calculus.This is a very large area of math ,and be prepared to do a serious recap of many things you've learned in a high school.
To my unpleasant surprise ,I discovered that some PF members,got their fingers/minds into learning calculus and integrals while still having BIG gaps in high-school math stuff!This is very bad.You can't learn to run before you learn how to walk...Don't let that happen to you.
Besides,if you happen to experince troubles (and probably you will), got stuck in preparations,and have math question that your books don't make 100% clear for you,feel free to ask people on PF.I'm sure they can help you.

Good luck and best wishes,
-tehno

Just a quick question while this topic is going...

I've got an old book of my mom's (from mid-late 70's) by "Thomas"/Addison-Wesley called "calculus and analytic geometry 1"

Is this a good book to start calc with? Is it too outdated?

thanks

1. What is the importance of algebra in studying Calculus?

Algebra is essential in understanding the concepts and principles of Calculus. It provides the foundation for solving equations and manipulating variables, which are fundamental skills needed in Calculus.

2. Do I need to have a strong understanding of trigonometry before studying Calculus?

Yes, a basic understanding of trigonometry is necessary for studying Calculus. Many concepts in Calculus, such as derivatives and integrals, involve trigonometric functions.

3. Is it necessary to have a background in geometry before learning Calculus?

While geometry is not directly used in Calculus, having a basic understanding of geometric principles and shapes can help with visualizing and understanding concepts in Calculus.

4. Do I need to know how to graph before studying Calculus?

Knowing how to graph functions is important in Calculus, as it helps in understanding the behavior of functions and their derivatives.

5. Can I study Calculus without a strong foundation in precalculus?

It is not recommended to study Calculus without a strong understanding of precalculus. Precalculus covers many topics that are essential for understanding Calculus, such as functions, graphs, and trigonometry.