Relationship between cold weather and snow

In summary: Again, thanks for the help.In summary, the article discusses how it can still snow well above freezing as long as there is a layer of cold air overlying a warmer air mass. This layer of cold air is caused by a lower-level air mass being a bit warmer/wetter.
CosmicEye
I live in the DC metro area and we recently had snow that lasted all day (none stuck to the roads, booo). But I didnt understand that it was still snowing at well above freezing. I have a digital thermometer outside of my window and it read ~41 degrees F at its highest and never dropped below 32 until around midnight after the snow passed. The %error is only rated at +/- 2 degrees F but will still be above freezing. If I remember right, humidity on weather.com was ~65% as well.

Ive seen this before and even rain when it was in the high 20's. We must have been under a low pressure system which brought all the moisture. Does atm pressure matter that greatly? What causes it to snow above freezing or rain below? I can't think of anything else that I know of that could cause this. Just curious but any help is appreciated.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Air is not monolithic. If you have a layer of cold air overlying a lower-level air mass that is a bit warmer/wetter, you can get some pretty impressive snow-falls.

^ that's a cool fact.

Thanks but I don't think the question is quite answered. How does it still snow well above freezing as I witnessed all that day? Maybe a warm air mass at ground level that is small enough to not melt the snow in time before hitting the ground? I am guessing at this point.

If it helps they were the real fat soft snowflakes that looked like baseballs falling from the sky, but it was snow.

CosmicEye said:
^ that's a cool fact.

Thanks but I don't think the question is quite answered. How does it still snow well above freezing as I witnessed all that day? Maybe a warm air mass at ground level that is small enough to not melt the snow in time before hitting the ground? I am guessing at this point.

If it helps they were the real fat soft snowflakes that looked like baseballs falling from the sky, but it was snow.
Googling air temperature with altitude brings up a bunch of links (and graphs in pics) that show that you only have to go a few kilometres up for temperature to plummet to -50C. I think you're right in thinking that the snow formed in a much colder layer of air above the warm air on the ground.

CosmicEye said:
^ that's a cool fact.

Seems like you're correct, I checked the science bits in the article I knew and it all seemed solid.

http://www.sciencebits.com/SnowAboveFreezing

Thanks guys and that a great link with a great explanation. I am good at guessing haha, but I would not have guessed that the greater cooling from evaporation than conduction of heat kept it frozen.

1. How does cold weather lead to snow?

Cold weather is a necessary condition for snow to form. When the temperature in the atmosphere drops below freezing (32°F or 0°C), water vapor in the air freezes and forms ice crystals. These ice crystals then merge together to form snowflakes, which fall to the ground as snow.

2. Can it snow when it's not cold?

Technically, no. As mentioned before, cold temperatures are essential for snow formation. However, there are some exceptions. In extremely rare cases, snow can form when the temperature is slightly above freezing, but this is usually due to a unique combination of factors such as high humidity and strong upward air currents.

3. Does colder weather mean more snow?

In general, yes. The colder the air temperature, the more likely it is for snow to form. However, other factors such as moisture in the air, wind patterns, and air pressure also play a significant role in determining the amount of snowfall. It is possible for very cold weather to result in little to no snow if these other factors are not present.

4. Is there a specific temperature that guarantees snow?

No, there is no specific temperature that guarantees snow. As mentioned before, other factors such as moisture and wind patterns also contribute to snow formation. However, temperatures between 20°F to 30°F (-6°C to -1°C) are typically considered ideal for heavy snowfall.

5. Can it snow when it's extremely cold?

Yes, it is possible for it to snow when it's extremely cold. However, extremely low temperatures (-40°F or -40°C) can make it challenging for snow to form as the air is too dry to produce significant amounts of moisture. This is why extremely cold regions like the Arctic often have less snow than areas with milder but still cold temperatures.