Estimating Drift & Variance for Random Walk With Drift: Help Needed

In summary, you might be able to estimate the drift and variance value using a discrete time ARIMA model if your data is measured at a common time interval.
muzialis
Hello there,

I am wondering if somebody could help in an issue far from my expertise.

I have some data which is reasonable to conjecture could be modeled with a random walk with drift.
I am struggling though to understand how to estimate from the empriic data the most likely drift and variance value necessary to simulate the random walk.

So far I thought about this possible method.

1) From the empiric data estimate the hitting time to a conventional value for each available experimental path.
2) As hitting times are distributed according to a Inverse Gaussian distribution, I could use the data from 1) to estimate the Inverse Gaussian parameters using standard Maximum Likelihood estimators
3) From calcualtion at 2) I should be able to estimate drift and variance as theory tells us how they relate to the Inverse Gaussian parameters.

Any comment on this? Any suggestion? Many thanks in advance

Best Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a common problem in financial math. You want an ARIMA package which will do this for you. These are reasonably good lecture notes on the topic. It should point you in the right direction.

http://web.duke.edu/~rnau/411home.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
muzialis said:
I have some data which is reasonable to conjecture could be modeled with a random walk with drift.
I am struggling though to understand how to estimate from the empriic data the most likely drift and variance value necessary to simulate the random walk.

It's important to clarify whether you want to use a continuous time version of a random walk or a discrete time version.

If all your data is measured at a common time interval then the discrete time approach, using ARIMA models is adequate. If you are trying to work with continuous time "Wiener process", I think you can use the fact that a (constant) drift is directly proportional to the elapsed time between measurements and the random jumps in the process have a standard deviation that, as I recall, is proportional to the elapsed time. So it looks to me like you can do an analysis that uses every data point instead of relying on a property like hitting time. (The ARIMA models can also use all the data. )

1. What is a random walk with drift?

A random walk with drift is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of a variable over time. It is characterized by a series of steps, where each step is a random change in the variable's value, with the addition of a constant drift term that causes the variable to trend in a particular direction.

2. How is drift and variance estimated in a random walk with drift?

Drift and variance in a random walk with drift can be estimated using statistical methods such as maximum likelihood estimation or least squares estimation. These methods use the observed data to calculate the most likely values for the drift and variance parameters.

3. What is the significance of estimating drift and variance in a random walk with drift?

Estimating drift and variance in a random walk with drift is important for understanding and predicting the behavior of the variable being modeled. It allows for the identification of trends and patterns in the data, and can be used to make forecasts and inform decision-making.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of drift and variance estimates in a random walk with drift?

The accuracy of drift and variance estimates in a random walk with drift can be affected by the length and quality of the data used, as well as the choice of estimation method. In addition, external factors such as sudden changes in the underlying process being modeled can also impact the accuracy of the estimates.

5. How can drift and variance estimates be validated in a random walk with drift?

Drift and variance estimates in a random walk with drift can be validated by comparing them to the observed data and assessing the quality of the model fit. Additionally, statistical tests such as the Akaike Information Criterion (AIC) or the Bayesian Information Criterion (BIC) can be used to evaluate the overall performance of the model.