Register to reply

Industrial Electrical Wiring Codes/Practices

Share this thread:
djc9273
Mar5-13, 04:53 PM
P: 4
I'm a mechanical engineer by training. At my current job, I'm designing automation equipment for various processes. Part of that design involves designing basic power circuits to power all the Controllers, robots, PLCs, sensors, etc..

I'm looking for national or state (Massachusetts) codes on industrial wiring (i.e. minimum wire gauge per load, fuse/breaker sizing, grounding practices).

Even some literature on proper industrial wiring (not necessarily a code) would be helpful.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Future phones to use blood and speech to monitor HIV, stress, nutrition
Neuron circuit may enable pitch perception applications
Quasi-distributed temperature sensors from draw-tower fabrication technology
sophiecentaur
Mar5-13, 05:27 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,121
Did you consider googling "massechusetts wiring regulations codes"?
It will give you just what you want, I think.
It's what I did - my very first reaction. It's amazing what Google can do for you.
djc9273
Mar5-13, 06:26 PM
Yeah, I looked around the obvious google search stuff. Most of it is directed at household/facilities wiring. What I'm interested in is the wiring inside a machine.

I can't read the Mass state code without buying it, so I'm not sure if there's anything relevant to what I'm looking for in there. I was hoping someone who knows where this info is could tell me where I need to look (or what code books I should buy) to find it.

pantaz
Mar6-13, 02:38 AM
P: 589
Industrial Electrical Wiring Codes/Practices

I highly doubt that the wiring/circuitry inside a machine is regulated by the state/county/city.

The NEC (National Electrical Code) is the general standard for the wiring practices you mention -- grounding, load ratings, etc.

The current NEC can be viewed online (free registration).
http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/Ab....asp?DocNum=70
djc9273
Mar6-13, 07:04 AM
Found what I was looking for: UL 1740

http://ulstandardsinfonet.ul.com/toc...=s&fn=1740.toc

Discusses machine/robot wiring and construction standards.

The NEC code will be helpful, too.

Thanks!
Windadct
Mar6-13, 01:11 PM
P: 560
Refer to UL 508 - Industrial Control Equipment, if the enclosure / system is to be inspected by UL this will be the standard they review against. UL 1740 is for Robotics, which may apply - but deals more with safety system requirements like interlocks, process control, physical clearances etc.

And yes buy a copy of the NEC, always a handy reference, but you may want to track down an industrial electrician to discuss with when you have questions.

IMO - since we are talking about SAFETY - I would advise to use a consultant. While I have designed and built a number of mechanical systems - they were not safety related, I would not want my seatbelts designs by an EE - so I do not think electrical safety should be designed by a Mech E....

Register to reply