Register to reply

Why do acidic drugs remain unionized in acidic environement?

by tarekatpf
Tags: acidic, drugs, environement, remain, unionized
Share this thread:
tarekatpf
Oct10-13, 12:57 PM
P: 138
Why do acidic drugs remain unionized in acidic environement, and become ionized in basic environment?

Similarly, why do basic drugs become ionized in acidic environment and remain unionized in basic environment?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Moving single cells around?accurately and cheaply
Laser optical tweezers reveal how malaria parasites infect red blood cells (w/ Video)
The difficult question of Clostridium difficile
Borek
Oct10-13, 02:20 PM
Admin
P: 23,528
This is a pretty basic question about behavior of acids and bases. Short answer: because that's exactly the way they behave. Long answer: please learn about acid/base equilibrium, this is part of GenChem101.

Actually this is a chemistry question, not medical sciences. I am moving the thread.
phinds
Oct10-13, 02:29 PM
PF Gold
P: 6,269
When I read the subject, I thought you were asking about why acidic drugs were involved in collective bargaining

Yanick
Oct11-13, 12:08 PM
P: 380
Why do acidic drugs remain unionized in acidic environement?

Quote Quote by phinds View Post
When I read the subject, I thought you were asking about why acidic drugs were involved in collective bargaining
That's how you know if someone is a Chemist or not. You ask them to pronounce unionized.

Un-ionized = Chemist
Union-ized = Not a Chemist

tarekatpf
Oct12-13, 08:51 PM
P: 138
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
This is a pretty basic question about behavior of acids and bases. Short answer: because that's exactly the way they behave. Long answer: please learn about acid/base equilibrium, this is part of GenChem101.

Actually this is a chemistry question, not medical sciences. I am moving the thread.
Thank you very much for your suggestion and correcting the category. And sorry about my late reply as I have been sick lately.

Register to reply