Maximum weight that helium balloon can lift

In summary, the maximum weight that a helium balloon can lift depends on factors such as its size, type, amount of helium, and atmospheric conditions. The weight of the balloon itself affects its lifting capacity, with heavier balloons being able to lift less weight. The shape of the balloon also plays a role, with spherical balloons having the most lifting capacity. However, there is a limit to how much weight a helium balloon can lift due to the finite amount of helium it can contain. Altitude also affects lifting capacity, with higher altitudes resulting in a decrease in lift force and the need for additional helium.
Raiden9
Hi. I have been trying to do this question for about an hour now...

A 0.12 kg balloon is filled with helium (density-0.179). If the balloon is a sphere with a radius of 5.2m what is the maximum weight it can lift.

I tried using the P=M/V then Fb=pgV...No luck...Help..

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh dear...The answer was I forgot to use the density...Silly me..:yuck:

Hello, thank you for reaching out. I can provide some insight into the maximum weight that a helium balloon can lift. First, it is important to understand that the lift force of a helium balloon is equal to the weight of the air it displaces. This is known as Archimedes' principle.

To calculate the maximum weight a helium balloon can lift, we need to consider the volume of the balloon and the density of the helium inside. In this scenario, we have a spherical balloon with a radius of 5.2m and a density of 0.179 kg/m^3.

Using the formula for the volume of a sphere (V=4/3πr^3), we can calculate the volume of the balloon to be approximately 572.79 m^3.

Next, we can use the formula for the weight of air (W=mg) to calculate the weight of the air that the balloon displaces. The mass of air is equal to its density multiplied by its volume, so the weight of the air displaced by the balloon is approximately 102.51 kg.

Finally, we can use Archimedes' principle to calculate the maximum weight that the balloon can lift. The lift force is equal to the weight of the air displaced, so the maximum weight that the balloon can lift is also 102.51 kg.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept. Keep in mind that this is the theoretical maximum weight and may vary in real-life scenarios due to factors such as wind and temperature. Additionally, the weight of the balloon itself should also be taken into consideration. I recommend double-checking your calculations and factoring in the weight of the balloon to get a more accurate estimate. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is the maximum weight that a helium balloon can lift?

The maximum weight that a helium balloon can lift depends on several factors, including the size and type of balloon, the amount of helium used, and the atmospheric conditions. On average, a helium balloon can lift about 14 grams per liter of helium. However, this can vary and may be affected by external factors such as wind or temperature.

2. How does the weight of the balloon itself affect the maximum weight it can lift?

The weight of the balloon itself does affect the maximum weight it can lift. The heavier the balloon, the less weight it can lift. This is because the amount of helium needed to lift the balloon increases with its weight. Therefore, if the balloon itself is too heavy, there may not be enough lift to support additional weight.

3. Can the shape of the balloon affect its lifting capacity?

Yes, the shape of the balloon can affect its lifting capacity. A spherical balloon has the most lifting capacity, while elongated or oddly shaped balloons may have less. This is because the rounder the balloon, the more evenly distributed the helium is, allowing for better lift.

4. Is there a limit to how much weight a helium balloon can lift?

Yes, there is a limit to how much weight a helium balloon can lift. This is due to the finite amount of helium that can be contained within the balloon. Once the balloon reaches its maximum capacity, it will be unable to lift any additional weight.

5. How does altitude affect the lifting capacity of a helium balloon?

Altitude does affect the lifting capacity of a helium balloon. As the balloon rises, the air pressure decreases, causing the helium to expand. This results in a decrease in lift capacity and the need for additional helium to maintain the same lifting force. This is why balloons may pop at high altitudes where the air pressure is significantly lower.