Partial Derivative Q: Is dV an Exact Differential?

In summary: But that's about all I can say without more information. In summary, we are discussing whether dV is an exact differential in the scenario where V=V(T,P) and PV+RT is given. The question is approached by taking the derivative of R/PdT with respect to T and understanding the relationship between V and PV+RT. If PV+RT is a constant, then dV = (R/P)dT - (RT/P2)dP.
pchem1
In determining if a function is exact, here is the question. If V=V(T,P) and PV+RT, show that dV = R/PdT - RT/P2 dP. Is dV an exact differential?
Do I go about by taking the derivative of R/PdT with respect to T, etc? I know this is not a difficult function, but I just want to make sure I'm approaching it correctly.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
pchem1 said:
In determining if a function is exact, here is the question. If V=V(T,P) and PV+RT, show that dV = R/PdT - RT/P2 dP. Is dV an exact differential?
Do I go about by taking the derivative of R/PdT with respect to T, etc? I know this is not a difficult function, but I just want to make sure I'm approaching it correctly.

Thanks!

There are several things aobut your post that I do not understand.

I know what it means for a differential to be exact, but don't know what it means for a function to be exact. Are you talking about a differential?

Also you say "if V= V(T,P) and PV+RT". Okay, V= V(T,P) is a complete statement- it says that V is function of T and P. But "PV+ RT" is not a complete statement. What about PV+ RT? Is something missing? Was it supposed to be PV+ RT= something?

Finally, you talk about "taking the derivative of R/PdT with respect to T" but that already is a differential, Don't you mean to diffentiate an equation involving V?

If PV+ RT= some function, then P dV+ VdP+ dRT+ RdT= the derivative of that function. In particular, if PV+ RT= constant, and R is held constant, then PdV+ VdP+ RdT= 0 so that PdV= RdT- VdP and then
dV= RdT/P- (V/P)dP. Now that would be what you give IF V/P= RT/P2 (I assume that your P2 was intended to be P2) or
V= RT/P.

Now, although you didn't say anything about it, I remember that for an "ideal gas", PV= nRT where R is a constant. If THAT is what you are talking about, then, yes, dV = (R/P)dT - (RT/P2)dP.

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in multivariate calculus to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while keeping all other variables constant.

2. What is an exact differential?

An exact differential is a type of differential that can be expressed as the total derivative of a function. This means that the differential is independent of the path taken and only depends on the initial and final values of the function.

3. How is a partial derivative related to an exact differential?

A partial derivative can be used to determine if a differential is exact. If the partial derivatives of a function are continuous and satisfy certain conditions, then the differential is exact.

4. Can dV be an exact differential?

Yes, dV can be an exact differential if it satisfies the conditions for exact differentials. For example, if dV is the differential of a function V(x,y,z), then it is exact if the partial derivatives of V are continuous and satisfy the equation dV = (∂V/∂x)dx + (∂V/∂y)dy + (∂V/∂z)dz.

5. What is the significance of an exact differential in science?

An exact differential is significant in science because it allows us to find the total change in a function without needing to know the path taken. This is especially useful in physics and engineering, where exact differentials are used to calculate work, heat, and other physical quantities.