Control Systems Help: Open & Closed Loop Gains

In summary, the closed loop system has a DC gain of 1/(5*0+1) and a time constant of 5i think. The open loop system has a dc gain of 1/(5s+1) and a time constant of 5.
impedance
Hello there,

I just got a question in control systems that i need help on... Hopefully, somebody genius on this forum can help me out..

If F(s) = 1 / (5s + 1)

1) Determine the DC gains of the open loop system and the closed loop system

2) Determine the time constant of the open loop system and the close loop system

3) Which one has a faster dynamics the open loop or the close loop system?

Given a system, how is it possible to find the closed loop and open loop gains from the system??

Isn't the system just one? open-loop or closed loop etc..

Thanks again for ur help
dino.

Engineering news on Phys.org
We generally do not provide help unless you first show your work and where you got stuck.

- Warren

oh ok.

well, for the closed loop system.

The DC gain is F(0) right.. so, its 1/(5*0 + 1) = 1

But, for the open loop system, how do i find the dc gain?

F(s) = 1 / (5s + 1)

generally , the equation can be wriiten as k0/1+s/wo
Dc gain =1
time constant = 1/wo=5

i think in order to find the dc gain for open loop or closed loop , the equation of each must be writtten based on the system provided(original system ) and later on dc gain can be determined as k when the equation is simpified to the form k0/1+s/wo after that the time constant is 1/wo
best wishes

impedance said:
oh ok.

well, for the closed loop system.

The DC gain is F(0) right.. so, its 1/(5*0 + 1) = 1

But, for the open loop system, how do i find the dc gain?
F(s) is the open loop system. The closed loop is:
[tex]M(s)=\frac{F(s)}{1+F(s)}[/tex]

ya i got it. the closed loop transfer function would be: 1/(5s +2)

Neway, how do i find the time constant of open and closed loop??

thanks
dino.

impedance said:
ya i got it. the closed loop transfer function would be: 1/(5s +2)

Neway, how do i find the time constant of open and closed loop??

thanks
dino.
The time constant of
[tex]F(s)=\frac{K}{as+b}[/tex] is [tex]T=-\frac{b}{a}[/tex]

1. What is the difference between open loop and closed loop control systems?

Open loop control systems do not have any feedback mechanism, meaning the output is not compared to the desired input. Closed loop control systems have a feedback mechanism, where the output is constantly compared to the desired input and adjustments are made accordingly.

2. What is the role of gain in a control system?

Gain is a measure of the system's responsiveness to changes in the input. It determines how much the output will change for a given change in the input. In a control system, the gain helps to amplify the error signal and produce the appropriate correction to the output.

3. How is open loop gain different from closed loop gain?

Open loop gain refers to the gain of a control system without any feedback mechanism, while closed loop gain takes into account the feedback loop and is typically lower than open loop gain. Closed loop gain is more stable and accurate compared to open loop gain.

4. How do you determine the appropriate gain for a control system?

The appropriate gain for a control system depends on the specific application and desired performance. It can be determined through analysis and simulation, or by tuning the system and observing its response. Generally, a higher gain leads to a faster response but can also introduce instability and oscillations.

5. Can the gain of a control system be changed after it has been implemented?

Yes, the gain of a control system can be adjusted after it has been implemented. This can be done through software or by physically changing the system's components. However, it is important to carefully analyze and test the system before making any changes to avoid destabilizing the system or causing unexpected behavior.