Moment Problem: Solving for the Resultant Force and Moment at Point C

• Thread starter bobbarkernar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moment
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the moment about C of the resultant force Ra exerted on a davit at A. The individual calculates this by multiplying 369N by a unit vector and taking the cross product, but may have made an error with the vertical distance. It is also noted that there may be three forces of 369N at point A, rather than just one.
bobbarkernar
moment problem please help

Homework Statement

a small boat hangs from two davits one of which is shown in the figure. the tension in line ABAD is 369 N. Determine the moent about C of the resultant force Ra exerted on the davit at A

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so first i took the 369N and multiplyed it by the unit vector
(2.4i-3.1j-1.2k)/(2.4^+3.1^2+1.2^2)^.5 and got (216,-279,-108)
ok then i took the cross product of (216,-279,-108) and (-2.4,0,0)when i did this i got (0,-259.2,670)but the i component shouldn't be zero please help

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That distance of 3.1 meters doesn't look like it's parallel to the y-axis, but you're treating it as though it is parallel to it. Is it supposed to be vertical?

Also, if "line ABAD" means the rope is double between A and B (as in your figure) there are three forces of 369N at point A, not one.

1. What is the moment problem?

The moment problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a function or probability distribution from its moments. Moments are statistical measures that describe the shape, center, and spread of a distribution. The moment problem is commonly encountered in fields such as statistics, physics, engineering, and finance.

2. What is the difference between the first, second, and higher-order moments?

The first moment, also known as the mean, describes the center of a distribution. The second moment, also known as the variance, describes the spread of a distribution. Higher-order moments, such as the skewness and kurtosis, describe the shape of a distribution. These moments provide valuable information about a distribution and can be used to compare and analyze different data sets.

3. How is the moment problem solved?

The moment problem is solved using mathematical techniques such as moment generating functions, the method of moments, and the maximum entropy method. These methods involve setting up and solving a system of equations to find the unknown function or distribution that satisfies the given moments. In some cases, the solution may not be unique or may not exist, leading to further analysis and refinement of the problem.

4. What are some real-world applications of the moment problem?

The moment problem has numerous applications in various fields. In statistics, it is used to estimate and model probability distributions. In physics, it is used to analyze and predict the behavior of physical systems. In engineering, it is used for system identification and control. In finance, it is used to model and forecast stock prices and other financial variables.

5. What are the limitations of the moment problem?

One limitation of the moment problem is that it relies on the accuracy and completeness of the given moments. If there are errors or missing data, the solution may not be accurate. Additionally, the moment problem may not have a unique solution, or the solution may not exist for certain distributions. In these cases, alternative methods or further refinement of the problem may be necessary.