Matemathic model for urinary system

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of mathematically modeling the human urinary system, with a focus on modeling the bladder as a system. The main problem is that the bladder cannot be modeled as a sphere, as it has the shape of an onion and changes in volume. Suggestions are given to use a parabola or an exponential function to model the bladder's shape, but the difficulty lies in finding a function that accurately represents the shape. The participants in the conversation also discuss their prior knowledge and ideas for modeling the bladder.
student85

Homework Statement

I was given the hard task of matematically modeling the human urinary system. I have to keep into account all the things going on. We CAN NOT model the bladder as being a sphere. So that is the main problem. It has the shape of an onion more or less. And it reduces and increases its volume depending on the amount of urine present. The approx. volume of the bladder is 400 cm3.
Basically what I'm looking for are ideas on how to model the bladder as a sistem, as the farthest we've gone is modeling spherical and cilindrical systems.

Any help is DEEPLY appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not take something like a parabola, and spin it around the y-axis, and close it off at like y=4, and then put an identical one on top.

Or try to find something that will look more like an onion after. Like, maybe e^x from x=0 to x=2 or something and spin that around the y-axis.

Thanks JasonRox.
Yeah I was thinking about something like that. Problem is I don't know what kind of function would fit into the bladder's onion shape, which I'm looking for in the internet but I think it will be hard for me to find something like "the shape of the bladder looks like a hyperbolic function..." lol you know?

Anyway, was the parabola and e function you proposed just thoughts out of nowhere or did you have prior knowledge on this?

1. What is a mathematical model for the urinary system?

A mathematical model for the urinary system is a representation of the physiological processes and functions of the urinary system using mathematical equations and formulas. It helps us understand how the different components of the urinary system work together to maintain the body's fluid and electrolyte balance.

2. Why is a mathematical model useful for studying the urinary system?

A mathematical model allows us to simulate and analyze various scenarios in the urinary system, which may not be possible to explore in a live setting. It also helps us make predictions and understand the behavior of the urinary system under different conditions, which can aid in the development of treatments and interventions for urinary system disorders.

3. How is a mathematical model for the urinary system created?

A mathematical model for the urinary system is created by collecting data and information about the different components of the urinary system, such as the kidneys, bladder, and ureters. This data is then used to develop equations and algorithms that represent the relationships and functions of these components. The model is then tested and refined using experimental data to ensure its accuracy.

4. What are the limitations of a mathematical model for the urinary system?

Like any other scientific model, a mathematical model for the urinary system is not a perfect representation of the real system. It simplifies the complex physiological processes and may not take into account all the variables and factors that can affect the urinary system. Therefore, the predictions and outcomes of the model may not always match the real-life observations.

5. Can a mathematical model for the urinary system be applied to other physiological systems?

Yes, the principles and techniques used to develop a mathematical model for the urinary system can also be applied to other physiological systems, such as the cardiovascular or respiratory systems. This allows for a better understanding of how these systems interact with each other and how they contribute to overall body function and health.