340 Hz note is played outdoors. Temperature and wave length

In summary: Using the equation, v = fλ, I found the wavelength to be approximately 1 meter.In summary, the wavelength of a 340 Hz note played outdoors on a day when the temperature is 25 degrees Celcius is approximately 1 meter. This was found by using the equation v = fλ and the approximate velocity of sound in air at room temperature (340.29 m/s).
8parks11

Homework Statement

A 340 Hz note is played outdoors on a day when the temperature is 25 degrees Celcius. What is the closest estimate of the wavelength of this note?

A) .1 m
B) 1 m
C) 10 m
D) 50 m
E) 340 m

Homework Equations

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Forum/latexrender/pictures/e7d4b6d614f84b4b105ead162fa94e0d.gif [Broken]

so...
http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Forum/latexrender/pictures/b9e251aca0bff9ace83197927124a406.gif [Broken]

[PLAIN]http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Forum/latexrender/pictures/0d2c032a601d8c290d422804dc30c00d.gif [Broken]
might be useful

The Attempt at a Solution

basically, I tried looking for velocity relative to temperature.
I used the previous equation that
[PLAIN]http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Forum/latexrender/pictures/0d2c032a601d8c290d422804dc30c00d.gif [Broken]

but that didn't help much because I do not know m or k.
I think I'm missing a basic knowledge because I have not learned much about this stuff yet. (I only know the formula...)

someone help please!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're overthinknig the problem. They're trying to get you to understand as opposed to simply plug numbers in formulae.

As a ballpark figure - how far will sound travel (in feet) in one second?
How many wavelengths are we looking at in that second?
Thus, how long is one wavelength (approximately).

You should be able to find the speed of sound in air at various temperatures and pressures listed somewhere on the internet. You only need an approximate value and you already have the necessary equation.

yes I figured this out. Sorry for not reposting. I found the velocity of sound at room temperature which is approximately 340.

1. What is the significance of the frequency 340 Hz when played outdoors?

The frequency of 340 Hz is in the audible range for humans and is commonly used in music and sound production. When played outdoors, this frequency can be heard by the human ear and can potentially affect the environment and living organisms in the area.

2. How does temperature affect the wavelength of a 340 Hz note played outdoors?

Temperature affects the density of air, which in turn affects the speed of sound. As temperature increases, the speed of sound also increases. This results in a longer wavelength for a 340 Hz note played outdoors in warmer temperatures.

3. Is there a specific temperature at which a 340 Hz note will have the shortest wavelength when played outdoors?

The wavelength of a 340 Hz note played outdoors will continuously change with temperature. However, as a general rule, the shorter the wavelength, the higher the frequency. Therefore, a 340 Hz note will have the shortest wavelength when played outdoors in extremely low temperatures.

4. Can a 340 Hz note played outdoors have different wavelengths in different environments?

Yes, the wavelength of a 340 Hz note can vary in different environments due to factors such as temperature, humidity, and altitude. These factors can affect the speed of sound and therefore, the wavelength of the note.

5. How does the wavelength of a 340 Hz note played outdoors affect the sound quality?

The wavelength of a 340 Hz note played outdoors can affect the sound quality in terms of loudness and clarity. A longer wavelength may result in a lower volume and less distinct sound, while a shorter wavelength can produce a louder and clearer sound. This is because the wavelength determines the spacing between sound waves and can impact how the sound is perceived by the human ear.