Electric Charges Homework: Find Where Electric Field & Potential Equal 0

In summary, the conversation discusses the placement of a +10mC and a -2.0mC charge on a line, and where the electric field and potential would be equal to zero. The solution involves determining the configuration of the charges and using the formula for electric field and potential to solve for the position along the line. The final answers discussed were 0.16m for the electric field and 0.05m for the electric potential.
Fusilli_Jerry89

Homework Statement

A +10mC charge is placed 0.20 m from a -2.0mC charge. Where on the line joining the 2 charges is the a) electric field equal to zero? b) electric potential equal to zero?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure, but I think that the answer to both of these questions is zero (because infinite is not an option). Am I wrong when I say that the electric field can't be zero because there are two forces pulling in the same direction, therefore they cannot cancel each other out when between them. Also, the electric potential can't seem to equal zero because again, the forces are adding. I'm not as sure about that one though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Part a first: The field will be zero at a position where you could place a test charge (small positive charge) and it will experience no net force. First decide on the configuration of the "source" charges- i.e. is the +10 m C to the left of the other charge? Then figure out where the field must be zero, conceptually, i.e. to the left of them, between them, or to the right.

It seems you are only considering the part of the line between the two charges. Yes, inside the 2 charges, the fields will never equal 0, they will always add, but outside the 2 charges the fields point in opposite directions.

HINT: What is the formula for an electric field? Write down an equation describing the conditions you want. After you do that, solve for the position along the line. The follow the same procedure for the potential.

See how far you can get now. Good Luck!

Last edited:
oh ok, I thought the question meant only between the 2 charges. For the electric field, I got 0.16 m past the negative charge. For the electric potential, I got 0.05m?

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that a charged object has on other charged objects. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you find where electric field and potential equal 0?

To find where electric field and potential equal 0, you can use the equation E = -∇V, where E is the electric field, ∇ is the gradient operator, and V is the electric potential. This equation can be solved for the coordinates where E = 0 and V = 0.

3. What is the significance of electric field and potential equaling 0?

When electric field and potential equal 0, it means that there is no net force acting on a charged object at that point. This can be useful in determining the path of a charged particle or the location of an electric dipole.

4. How is electric field and potential related?

Electric field and potential are closely related. The electric field is the negative gradient of the electric potential, meaning that the electric potential is the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in space.

5. What is the difference between electric field and electric potential?

The main difference between electric field and electric potential is that electric field is a vector quantity, while electric potential is a scalar quantity. Electric field describes the force experienced by a charged object, while electric potential describes the energy of a charged object at a given point in space.