Second and third semester calculus in one summer.

In summary: III.In summary, if you are dedicated to the subject, taking both Calculus II and III will not be a problem. However, knowledge of vectors is more important in Calculus III than in Calculus II.
tiohn
I'm back in school after a 5 year break, and need to get back up to speed on my calculus. I took it in high school and did very well on the AP exam, and have taken Calc II twice now, but wasn't even remotely dedicated to any of it, so I got a C both times. I am currently taking a class titled "Introduction to Modern Mathematics" which is required for all math majors at NCSU and focuses on proofs while introducing set theory and whatnot. I am most likely taking Calc II again this summer as a refresher, but just realized that I could also take Calc III as we have two summer sessions. Doing so would allow me to take differentials this fall, along with Intro to Linear Algebra and Intro to Modern Algebra. If I don't take Calc III this summer, I can still take the Linear and Modern Algebra classes this fall, and will merely have to postpone differentials until next spring.

What do you think I should do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think as long as you are dedicated, taking both would not be a problem. Our Calc 2 class focused on a ton of integration techniques, and also series. Neither of which we used in Calc 3 (we did solve integrals, tons of them, but they were not nearly the difficult integrals we saw in Calc 2). If your Calc classes are similar I would say go for it.

That sounds exactly like ours. I'm actually tempted to just go straight into calc 3 and just pick up whatever I don't recall from calc 2 as I go along.

tiohn said:
That sounds exactly like ours. I'm actually tempted to just go straight into calc 3 and just pick up whatever I don't recall from calc 2 as I go along.

Yeah, I got a C in Caculus II but an A in Calculus III. You don't really need Calculus II.

It's funny though. In Differential Equations, you kind of need Calculus II for some techniques and I'm one of the only ones that seem to remember any of Calculus II. Sometimes in the hallways I'll help students with their Calculus II homework. I had a C!

the only thing I think you would need from calc II is polar coordinates and integrating using polar coordinates. you don't use series, integration by parts, etc in calc III. knowledge of vectors is far more important

What is second and third semester calculus?

Second and third semester calculus is a continuation of the study of differential and integral calculus, focusing on more advanced topics such as multivariable calculus, vector calculus, and differential equations.

Why would someone want to take second and third semester calculus in one summer?

Taking second and third semester calculus in one summer allows students to complete a full year's worth of calculus coursework in a shorter amount of time, allowing them to progress to more advanced math courses sooner.

Is it possible to learn second and third semester calculus in one summer?

Yes, it is possible to learn second and third semester calculus in one summer. It requires a significant amount of dedication and hard work, but with proper time management and study habits, it is achievable.

What are the benefits of completing second and third semester calculus in one summer?

The main benefit of completing second and third semester calculus in one summer is that it allows students to save time and potentially graduate earlier. It also allows students to focus solely on calculus without other classes and distractions.

Are there any challenges or drawbacks to taking second and third semester calculus in one summer?

One potential challenge of taking second and third semester calculus in one summer is the fast-paced nature of the course. It may be more difficult for some students to grasp the concepts in a shorter amount of time. Additionally, the workload may be more intense, requiring students to stay organized and manage their time effectively.