Introduction to Quantum Field Theory in curved spacetime

In summary, the conversation is about a draft of an introductory textbook on quantum field theory in curved spacetime, which covers topics such as free quantum fields in an expanding universe, the Unruh effect, Hawking radiation, and the Casimir effect. The book is not yet published but will be soon. The authors also discuss the difficulty of understanding other advanced monographs in the field and the need for more accessible textbooks.
explain
http://sites.google.com/site/winitzki/" [Broken] a draft of an introductory textbook on quantum field theory in curved spacetime - free quantum fields in expanding universe, Unruh effect, Hawking radiation, also Casimir effect and some basic stuff on path integrals and effective action. The book is not free - will be published soon...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
more from one of the authors:
http://www.theorie.physik.uni-muenchen.de/~serge/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
[tex]
<cos(nt)|sin(mt)> = \frac {1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}cos(nt)sin(mt) dt = 0 [/tex]

Last edited:
unless n = m

explain and robphy, as usual EXCELLENT POSTS! and I am not the type that gives praises for nothing :)

I was struggling with Birrel and Davies "Quantum Fields in Curved Space" which is like trying to learn english from the phone directory lol

Last edited:
You mean that I am not the only one who found "Quantum Fields in Curved Space" difficult? I thought I was failing yet another IQ test.

I think Birrell-Davies is pretty much unreadable for a beginning graduate student. If you already have a PhD and have working knowledge of quantum field theory then you can understand Birrell-Davies with considerable effort. In my view this is the case with almost any advanced monograph. Another similar example is Hawking-Ellis "Large scale structure of spacetime" (for classical singularity theorems). The problem is that students in these subjects have only these monographs to study and no other textbooks.

Actually I had no problem with "Large scale structure of spacetime". Shows where my preferences and knowledge lie. It, and a few other books, motivated me to study differential geometry as a independent subject.

What is Quantum Field Theory in curved spacetime?

Quantum Field Theory in curved spacetime is a theoretical framework that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity to study the behavior of particles and fields in curved spacetime. It is used to describe the behavior of particles in extreme conditions, such as near black holes or during the early stages of the universe.

What is the difference between Quantum Field Theory in curved spacetime and regular Quantum Field Theory?

The main difference between Quantum Field Theory in curved spacetime and regular Quantum Field Theory is that the former takes into account the effects of curved spacetime, while the latter assumes a flat, Minkowski spacetime. This allows Quantum Field Theory in curved spacetime to describe the behavior of particles and fields in more complex and extreme environments.

What are some real-world applications of Quantum Field Theory in curved spacetime?

Quantum Field Theory in curved spacetime has many applications in astrophysics, cosmology, and high-energy physics. It has been used to study the behavior of particles near black holes, to understand the early stages of the universe, and to predict the behavior of particles in particle accelerators.

What are some challenges in studying Quantum Field Theory in curved spacetime?

One of the main challenges in studying Quantum Field Theory in curved spacetime is the lack of a complete and consistent theory that combines general relativity and quantum mechanics. This has led to many different approaches and theories, making it difficult to determine which one is the most accurate. Additionally, the highly complex nature of the calculations involved in studying Quantum Field Theory in curved spacetime makes it a challenging field of study.

How does Quantum Field Theory in curved spacetime contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Quantum Field Theory in curved spacetime allows us to study the behavior of particles and fields in extreme conditions, such as near black holes or during the early stages of the universe. This has helped us gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the behavior of the universe on a large scale. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new theories and models, helping us to better understand the mysteries of the universe.