YBCO critical temperature not right

In summary, Mr. Flint mentions that he measured a lower critical temperature because the temperature sensor adapted faster to the lower temperature than the YBCO pellet. He then says that heating the chemicals in the oven at 950°C in a specified manner results in Y Ba_2 Cu_3 O_{7-x}. However, the resulting YBCO with x = 1 is still not superconducting. He also mentions that the critical temperature generally gets lower as you apply a current, so that is a bit puzzling as well.
donpeters
In doing some research using a basic superconducting kit with a susceptibility probe, we set out to find the critical temperature for the YBCO compound.

In our first attempts, we were only able to achieve a critical temperature of 78.8 K, and the actual value is said to be between 90 and 93 K.

We then tried applying different currents during the experiment and found that our critical temperature changed a little bit and got a little closer to the expected value, but we were still only able to achieve between 80 and 84 K for our critical temperature.

I feel like we are far off of the expected value, any insight or reasons as to why this may be?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) I found a link here, maybe it helps:
http://www.mrsec.psu.edu/education/teachers/fellowships/prev_fellowships/YBCOproject.pdf
http://www.virtualflint.com/summer01/psu/ybco.html

Mr. Flint mentions in his report that he measured a lower critical temperature because the temperature sensor adapted faster to the lower temperature than the YBCO pellet (see page 9).
I don't know if this also applies in your setup.

2) The way you heat the chemicals in the oven seems to be important (see page 3 for a temperature-time diagram)

Another article (unfortunately I only found a German vesion) http://www.uni-kiel.de/anorg/bensch/lehre/Dokumente/versuch_f1_yttrium_barium_cuprat.pdf=http://www.uni-kiel.de/anorg/bensch/lehre/Dokumente/versuch_f1_yttrium_barium_cuprat.pdf shows a temperature-time diagram for the oven (see page 5). The diagram is important because it influences how much oxygen is in the "structure" (see page 4).
According to the article you heat the chemicals in the oven to 950°C in a specified manner (°C per second) and get

[tex]Y Ba_2 Cu_3 O_{7-x}[/tex]

with x = 1. But the resulting YBCO with x = 1 is still not superconducting.
The further procedure of heating at 500°C (see the temperature-time diagram on page 5) changes x to approximately 0 because oxygen is absorbed.
For x = 0, YBCO has a critical temperature of 90K. On page 4 you can read that x = 0.25 results in a critical temperature of 60K.

Note: I am not an expert and I have never experimented with superconductors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I might be of some help with your problem, but I'll need to know some more details about your processing procedure, such as calcination and annealing conditions.

Note that genrally speaking, the transition width for SC is "wider" for a susceptibility measurement as compared to a resistivity measurement.

Also note, that the critical temperature generally gets lower as you apply a current, so that is a bit puzzling as well.

donpeters said:
In doing some research using a basic superconducting kit with a susceptibility probe, we set out to find the critical temperature for the YBCO compound.

In our first attempts, we were only able to achieve a critical temperature of 78.8 K, and the actual value is said to be between 90 and 93 K.

We then tried applying different currents during the experiment and found that our critical temperature changed a little bit and got a little closer to the expected value, but we were still only able to achieve between 80 and 84 K for our critical temperature.

I feel like we are far off of the expected value, any insight or reasons as to why this may be?

Did you check this by measuring the resistivity (your statement on "applying different currents" is vague and I'm not sure if you measurement the resistance here)? It would be worth while comparing the susceptibility measurement with the resistivity measurement - they should coincide very closely. If they don't, then my guess is that the susceptibility measurement isn't done accurately.

And to address what Edgardo said, most YBCO samples that are widely distributed at optimally-doped. This means that the Tc value is the highest possible. Underdoped and overdopped samples tend to "evolve" towards the optimally doped level over time. So while it is possible, I find it rather unlikely that this sample of YBCO is not at or near optimal doping.

Zz.

1. What is YBCO and why is its critical temperature important?

YBCO stands for yttrium barium copper oxide, which is a type of high-temperature superconductor. Its critical temperature, or the temperature at which it transitions from a normal conductor to a superconductor, is important because it determines the practical applications of YBCO in various industries.

2. Why might the critical temperature of YBCO not be accurate?

The critical temperature of YBCO can be affected by various factors such as impurities in the material, defects in the crystal structure, and variations in the production process. These can all contribute to the critical temperature being lower or higher than the expected value.

3. How is the critical temperature of YBCO measured?

The critical temperature of YBCO is typically measured by performing electrical resistance tests at different temperatures. The temperature at which the resistance drops to zero is considered the critical temperature.

4. Can the critical temperature of YBCO be improved?

Yes, there are ongoing research efforts to improve the critical temperature of YBCO. This includes optimizing the production process, reducing impurities, and developing new doping techniques to enhance its superconducting properties.

5. What are the potential applications of YBCO with a higher critical temperature?

A higher critical temperature of YBCO would make it more practical for use in various industries, such as power transmission, magnetic levitation, and medical imaging. It could also lead to the development of new technologies and devices that require high-temperature superconductors.