Gravity and the Space-Time Web

In summary: This is the model that correctly predicts the gravitational redshift of light.In summary, according to general relativity, a mass (sun) will cause a dent in space-time if it is placed inside. This can be visualized by thinking of the net as being stretched out, with smaller masses (earth) placed inside it.
White Lotus
As i know the model of how gravity works is. The fact that there is a web of space time that you place a ball (sun) into it pushes down onto it, then placing smaller balls (earth) into this dent and they will in and around it...

What I do not understand is how in the world is this logically sound because for the ball to create a dent in the space time.. it would require gravity...

Physics news on Phys.org
I imagine what you're looking for is that, in general relativity, massive objects curve space-time. However, I don't understand your question: a curve in spacetime is gravity.

Well if you look at all the models of gravity they say "Gravity is like putting a ball on a stretched out net." but that act of it falling into the net and pushing down /is/ gravity which doesn't truly explain it to me

White Lotus said:
Well if you look at all the models of gravity they say "Gravity is like putting a ball on a stretched out net." but that act of it falling into the net and pushing down /is/ gravity which doesn't truly explain it to me

I added some emphasis to your post. It's just an analogy to help you visualize the situation, add some physical picture to the mathematics.

Are you asking how/why mass curves space-time?

I think he is referring to the fact that the explanation in terms of stretched nets seems to rely on gravity already working, so that the balls can make the dents.

To some extent, such "explanation" is a petitio principii, but it is convenient because it's easy to imagine. The actual formal mechanism in general relativity does not use a "basic force" or "meta-gravity" to stretch the sheet.

The point you need to take from it is that matter modifies what "straight line" means for small objects in their vicinity, in such a way that when they (using information from close around them) keep their best possible straight line behavior, they may be describing closed paths, when looked from afar.

Not only do we fall short with a 3-D model (ball and rubber sheet) which should act as a 4-D system, but this also fails to incorporate the phenomenon of inseparable spacetime geometry imparting acceleration to a mass.

The most effective model of spacetime I have seen is of continuously embedded Minkowski (special relativistic) light cones at angles corresponding to their local acceleration, in three dimensional space.

1. What is gravity and how does it work?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to attract one another. It works by creating a curvature in the fabric of space-time, causing objects to move towards each other along this curved path.

2. How does gravity affect the space-time web?

Gravity is the force that creates the space-time web. The mass of objects causes a curvature in space-time, which creates the web-like structure. The strength of gravity determines the shape and structure of the web.

3. Can gravity be stronger or weaker in different parts of the space-time web?

Yes, gravity can be stronger or weaker in different parts of the space-time web. The strength of gravity depends on the mass of the objects in that particular area. Areas with a higher concentration of mass will have a stronger gravitational pull.

4. How does the space-time web affect the movement of objects in space?

The space-time web affects the movement of objects in space by creating a curved path for objects to follow. This means that objects will move in a specific trajectory as determined by the web's structure and the strength of gravity in that area.

5. Is there a limit to the strength of gravity in the space-time web?

There is no known limit to the strength of gravity in the space-time web. The strength of gravity depends on the mass of objects, and there is no known limit to how massive an object can be. However, as objects become more massive, they can create distortions in the space-time web, affecting the behavior of gravity in that area.