Measuring Time Intervals: How Precise Can We Go?

In summary, this theory would need to be able to detect a difference in 51.7*10^{-24}s as an average, and some values would be much smaller.
Rahmuss
I'm not sure which location to post this in; but since it deals with the very small (sub-atomic), then I'll post it here.

Does anybody know just how precise they can measure time? Can they measure seconds down to 50 yotta seconds ([tex]10^{-24}[/tex])?

I have a theory (well, not quite that far yet, just a thought so far really) that would need to detect a difference in [tex]51.7*10^{-24}s[/tex] as an average, and some values would be much smaller.

Does anyone know how short of a time interval we can measure currently?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rahmuss said:
I'm not sure which location to post this in; but since it deals with the very small (sub-atomic), then I'll post it here.

Does anybody know just how precise they can measure time? Can they measure seconds down to 50 yotta seconds ([tex]10^{-24}[/tex])?

I have a theory (well, not quite that far yet, just a thought so far really) that would need to detect a difference in [tex]51.7*10^{-24}s[/tex] as an average, and some values would be much smaller.

Does anyone know how short of a time interval we can measure currently?

Measuring time is equivalent to counting oscillations of some periodic process. Traditional (e.g., Cs) atomic clocks used radio and microwave frequencies. The corresponding oscillation period in the nanosecond range. Recently a "frequency comb" technique has been invented which has allowed to count electromagnetic oscillations in the visible spectrum. This is the femtosecond range, which is still 10 orders of magnitude too coarse compared to your needs.

Eugene.

Last edited:
meopemuk - Wow! Thanks for the quick answer. That's good to know. I guess I'll work on that theory later. :D

Oh, hey, I thought of another way to try and accomplish what I need. Do we know how long absorption and emission takes for a hydrogen (single electron) atom in ground state? And if so, is there a way to determine which direction the re-emitted photon will travel? My guess is that the absorption and emission is not calculable and that the direction of the emitted photon could be anybody's guess... is that right?

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of time interval?

Time interval refers to the amount of time that passes between two distinct events or points in time.

2. How do we measure time intervals?

Time intervals can be measured using various tools such as clocks, stopwatches, and atomic clocks. These tools use different units of time such as seconds, minutes, and hours to measure intervals.

3. How precise can we go when measuring time intervals?

The precision of measuring time intervals depends on the tool used. With traditional clocks and watches, the precision can be up to a second. However, with advanced technology such as atomic clocks, time intervals can be measured with a precision of up to one-billionth of a second.

4. What factors affect the precision of measuring time intervals?

The precision of measuring time intervals can be affected by various factors such as the accuracy of the measuring tool, external factors like temperature and humidity, and human error.

5. Why is it important to have precise measurements of time intervals?

Precise measurements of time intervals are crucial in many fields, including science, technology, and navigation. It allows for accurate synchronization of processes, tracking of events, and predicting future occurrences. It also helps in the development of advanced technology and scientific research.