Understanding Velocity, Acceleration, and Equations

In summary: Find the time it takes for Casey to travel 10 miles.In summary, the time it takes for Casey to travel 10 miles is 10+2+2+2+2 or 14 seconds.
The_Z_Factor
This doesn't involve a problem, but I am confused on another part involving velocities and acceleration and such..

My book gives me 4 equations, the first one is:
final Velocity=initial Velocity + (acceleration)(time)

The second one:
distance traveled=(intial Velocity + final Velocity)/2

The third:
distance traveled=(intial Velocity)(time)+1/2(acceleration)(time)squared

And the final:
final Velocity squared=(initial Velocity)squared+2(acceleration)(distance)

My question is, under what circumstances are each equation used? My book gives several problems but it uses all of these without really explaining how to use each one, or under which scenario we use each one..like for example, if I want to find the time it takes to go x distance, traveling at s velocity and accelerating at a, then which one would I use?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the example you gave, then you would use the third equation.
It would be a good idea to set out your work like this:

First write down all the quantities you are given, or can deduce, with their values. Then write down all the quantities you want to find. Now you must look for the relevant equation. Look at all the things you know AND the thing you want to find. Find the equation that relates all the quantities you know AND want. This will be the equation you must use. You may need to re-arrange the equate so that you can get the quantity you want.

The_Z_Factor said:
This doesn't involve a problem, but I am confused on another part involving velocities and acceleration and such..

My book gives me 4 equations, the first one is:
final Velocity=initial Velocity + (acceleration)(time)

The second one:
distance traveled=(intial Velocity + final Velocity)/2

The third:
distance traveled=(intial Velocity)(time)+1/2(acceleration)(time)squared

And the final:
final Velocity squared=(initial Velocity)squared+2(acceleration)(distance)

My question is, under what circumstances are each equation used? My book gives several problems but it uses all of these without really explaining how to use each one, or under which scenario we use each one..like for example, if I want to find the time it takes to go x distance, traveling at s velocity and accelerating at a, then which one would I use?

All these equations are valid only for uniform acceleration. So if you have a car travels at 100mph one second 101 the next, and 104 the next, then it isn't uniforming accelerating so you cannot use the above equations.
If however the car was traveling for 0 to 100m/s^2 and accelerated uniformly at 2m/s^2 then you could use the above equations.

To put it simply if the acceleration when plotted versus times is a curve the equations can't be used. If the acceleration versus time is a straight line then the equations can be used.

gspeechc, thanks for that advice, I am sure itll probably help me. Malty, thanks for your input as well, I am just starting on the changing velocities or I guess as you said when the acceleration versus time is curved.

You need to take into acount what it is that you are looking for and what variables you are given. If you plug the given information into an equation and what are you are looking for is the only unknown left in the equation, I would say you have chosen wisely.

Casey

What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is a measure of the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. It is also a vector quantity, with both magnitude and direction. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

What are the equations for calculating velocity and acceleration?

The equation for calculating velocity is v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time. The equation for calculating acceleration is a = Δv/Δt, where a is acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

How are velocity and acceleration related?

Velocity and acceleration are related in that acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. In other words, acceleration is the change in velocity over a certain period of time. If an object has a constant acceleration, its velocity will change by the same amount each second.

How do I interpret a velocity-time graph?

A velocity-time graph shows the relationship between an object's velocity and time. The slope of the graph represents the object's acceleration, with a steeper slope indicating a greater acceleration. The area under the graph represents the distance traveled by the object. A horizontal line on the graph indicates a constant velocity, while a curved line indicates a changing velocity.