Preparation for learning integral calculus

In summary, after teaching yourself derivatives and the power rule, you should focus on learning derivatives of products and quotients, as well as the basic functions such as trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic functions. From there, you can move on to integral calculus, starting with the Riemann integral and understanding the difference between definite and indefinite integrals. It is important to also learn about the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and basic techniques like integration by parts, substitution, and trigonometric substitution. Some basic applications to consider are solids of revolution and arclength.
thharrimw
I have taught myself derivatives and I have taught myself the power rule and substitution but the book that I have bin using doesn’t go more in depth than that so what should I learn next?

Physics news on Phys.org
For differential calculus, you need to handle derivatives of products and quotients. Next you should learn about derivatives of the basic functions - trig, exponential, log. After that you could start looking at integral calculus.

i have taught myself the product and quotient rules. and how to find the deritives of basic functions - trig, exponential, log. so what do i need to do to get into integral calculus.

just another idea: maybe you should study related rates - a useful technique

as for integrals, you want to start with the Reimann integral. I don't know your purpose of study, but you probably don't want get too deep into the analysis - just the idea adding areas of rectangles under a curve and then making them thinner and thinner (i.e. a limit)
Note the difference between definite and indefinite integrals. The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is, well, pretty fundamental.

Get the basics down: polynomials, trig functions, logs and exponentials
Then integration by parts. Substitution. Trig Substitution (tricky). I recall partial fractions as well...

A few basic applications might be solids of revolution, and arclength.

i am teaching myself calc so i can take the ab calc test and skip ab calc my senior year and take bc calc

1. What is integral calculus?

Integral calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the concept of integration, which involves finding the area under a curve. It is used to solve problems related to motion, area, volume, and other physical quantities.

2. Why is it important to prepare for learning integral calculus?

Integral calculus is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is essential for understanding advanced topics in science and engineering. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. What are the prerequisites for learning integral calculus?

A good understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and basic calculus (such as differentiation) is necessary for learning integral calculus. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and problem-solving techniques.

4. How can I prepare for learning integral calculus?

To prepare for learning integral calculus, it is important to review and strengthen your understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and basic calculus. You can also practice solving integration problems and familiarize yourself with the different integration techniques.

5. Are there any online resources available for learning integral calculus?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning integral calculus, such as video tutorials, practice problems, and interactive courses. You can also find textbooks and study guides specifically designed for learning integral calculus.