Interaction Terms: Understanding Lagrangian Setup in 5th Dimension

In summary, the conversation discusses a Lagrangian setup involving a spacelike 5 vector, u^a, that violates Lorentz invariance in the 5th dimension. The speaker asks for an explanation of why the last interaction term in the Lagrangian, \frac{1}{2\mu^2}u^au^b\partial_a\phi\partial_b\phi, is necessary and why a simpler term such as \frac{1}{2\mu^2}u^au_a\phi^2 would not work. They also provide a link to the paper being referenced.
robousy
Hey folks,

I have a pretty interesting Lagrangian setup:

[tex]\mathcal{L}=-\frac{1}{4}(\nabla_a u_b -\nabla_b u_a)(\nabla^a u^b -\nabla^b u^a)-\lambda(u_au^a-v^2)-\frac{1}{2}(\partial\phi^2)-\frac{1}{2}m^2\phi^2-\frac{1}{2\mu^2}u^au^b\partial_a\phi\partial_b\phi[/tex]

My term [itex]u^a[/itex] is a spacelike 5 vector that violates Lorentz Invariance in the 5th dimension only. The indices a,b run from 0 to 4.

My question:

In the paper I'm reading (http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/...802.0521v1.pdf ), the above lagrangian is referred to have "the lowest order coupling". I'm guessing this comes from the last interaction term between [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex]. Can anyone explain why the term has to be of the form [tex]\frac{1}{2\mu^2}u^au^b\partial_a\phi\partial_b\phi[/tex]. Whats wrong with just [tex]\frac{1}{2\mu^2}u^au_a\phi^2[/tex] for example??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

can you please provide the complete link to the paper ?
Thanks !

1. What is the purpose of using interaction terms in the Lagrangian setup?

Interaction terms are added to the Lagrangian setup in order to account for the interaction between different fields or particles. They describe how these different components interact and affect each other.

2. How do interaction terms affect the equations of motion in the 5th dimension?

Interaction terms modify the equations of motion in the 5th dimension by introducing new terms that account for the interactions between fields and particles. This allows for a more accurate description of the dynamics in the 5th dimension.

3. Can interaction terms be used to describe interactions in higher dimensions?

Yes, interaction terms can be extended to describe interactions in higher dimensions. However, the complexity of the equations increases as the number of dimensions increases.

4. Are there any limitations or assumptions when using interaction terms in the Lagrangian setup?

Yes, there are limitations and assumptions when using interaction terms. One limitation is that they are typically only valid at certain energy scales and may break down at higher energies. Additionally, assumptions about the symmetries and behavior of the fields must be made in order to include the appropriate interaction terms in the Lagrangian.

5. How do interaction terms contribute to our understanding of the 5th dimension?

Interaction terms play a crucial role in our understanding of the 5th dimension by providing a mathematical framework to describe the interactions between fields and particles in this extra dimension. They allow for a more comprehensive understanding of the dynamics in the 5th dimension and can help to explain certain phenomena that cannot be explained in lower dimensions.