Force produced by current carrying coil to move sludge(steel rod)

In summary: Hi everyone,I have a problem, if U see the photo I have coil which carries current of rectified ac waveform through it. I have sludge(Steel rod of weight 20#) which has to be moved till the centre of the coil.If the current in coil induces magnetic field to sludge to move upward, then what will be the force with which th sludge is going to move and I need the lift (or) displacement from its initial position to final position. If possible, I need the equation for the lift of the sludge and which should depend on the current which flows in the coil. If anybody wants the value of the current, I can give it...
rvb53
hi everyone,

I have a problem, if U see the photo I have coil which carries current of rectified ac waveform through it. I have sludge(Steel rod of weight 20#) which has to be moved till the centre of the coil.

If the current in coil induces magnetic field to sludge to move upward, then what will be the force with which th sludge is going to move and I need the lift (or) displacement from its initial position to final position.

If possible, I need the equation for the lift of the sludge and which should depend on the current which flows in the coil.

If anybody wants the value of the current, I can give it...
pls do help me...I am struck in this problem from many days...

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 437
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
I've never heard a solenoid called sludge before.
Where does that come from?

Anyway its complicated, so I suggest Googleing -> solenoid force
and doing some reading.

NoTime said:
Welcome to PF.
I've never heard a solenoid called sludge before.
Where does that come from?

Anyway its complicated, so I suggest Googleing -> solenoid force
and doing some reading.

I think it is a typo. It's typically called the armature, but the slang version is slug, not sludge.

CS

rvb53 said:
hi everyone,

I have a problem, if U see the photo I have coil which carries current of rectified ac waveform through it. I have sludge(Steel rod of weight 20#) which has to be moved till the centre of the coil.

If the current in coil induces magnetic field to sludge to move upward, then what will be the force with which th sludge is going to move and I need the lift (or) displacement from its initial position to final position.

If possible, I need the equation for the lift of the sludge and which should depend on the current which flows in the coil.

If anybody wants the value of the current, I can give it...
pls do help me...I am struck in this problem from many days...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solenoid

CS

hi everyone,
thanx for replies.
buddies, I do not need what the rod is called as slug or sludge or rod.
I joined this forum in a sole mission of getting some help.
I need the equation for the lift of slug, which is going to depend on current in the coil + some losess. I do not know the force exerted or magnetic filed...
If U can help me that would be gr8 favor or favour...

rvb53 said:
hi everyone,
thanx for replies.
buddies, I do not need what the rod is called as slug or sludge or rod.
I joined this forum in a sole mission of getting some help.
I need the equation for the lift of slug, which is going to depend on current in the coil + some losess. I do not know the force exerted or magnetic filed...
If U can help me that would be gr8 favor or favour...

Give this a read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnet

Hope this helps.

CS

1. How does current carrying coil produce force to move sludge?

The force produced by a current carrying coil to move sludge is a result of the interaction between the magnetic field generated by the coil and the magnetic field of the sludge. When an electric current flows through the coil, it creates a magnetic field around the coil. This magnetic field then exerts a force on the magnetic particles in the sludge, causing it to move.

2. What factors affect the force produced by a current carrying coil on sludge?

The force produced by a current carrying coil on sludge is influenced by several factors, including the strength of the current, the number of turns in the coil, the distance between the coil and the sludge, and the magnetic properties of the sludge. A stronger current, increased number of turns, and shorter distance will result in a stronger force, while the type of magnetic material in the sludge will also impact the force.

3. How can the direction of the force produced by a current carrying coil be determined?

The direction of the force produced by a current carrying coil on sludge can be determined using the right-hand rule. If the current flows in the same direction as the magnetic field of the sludge, the force will be attractive. If the current flows in the opposite direction, the force will be repulsive. This rule also applies to the direction of the coil's magnetic field.

4. Can the force produced by a current carrying coil be controlled?

Yes, the force produced by a current carrying coil on sludge can be controlled by adjusting the current, the number of turns, and the distance between the coil and the sludge. Additionally, using different types of magnetic materials in the coil or the sludge can also alter the force produced.

5. What are the practical applications of using a current carrying coil to move sludge?

The force produced by a current carrying coil on sludge has several practical applications, such as in magnetic separators, where it is used to separate magnetic materials from non-magnetic materials. It is also used in industries such as mining, waste management, and recycling to remove magnetic impurities from materials. Additionally, this force can be used in the construction of devices such as motors and generators.