Which of the following has y=-1 as an asymptote?

• Thread starter pooka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Asymptote
In summary, the question asks which of the given functions has y=-1 as an asymptote. After graphing each function on a calculator, it appears that 1.e^(-x) has y=0 as its asymptote instead of y=-1. The conversation then discusses the possibility of sin(x) having y=-1 as an asymptote, but it is determined that it bounces between |\sin x|\leq 1. It is then concluded that the correct answer is #5, (3-2x^2)/(2x^2-13x+7), as taking the limit of the function results in y=-1, indicating a horizontal asymptote at y=-1.
pooka
Which of the following has y=-1 as an asymptote?
1.e^(-x)
2.sin(x)
3.ln x
4.x/(x+1)
5.(3-2x^2)/(2x^2-13x+7)

I've graphed each one on my calculator and I think that 1 is the answer, but it seems that it has y=0 as its asymptote rather than y=-1.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your calculator sucks.

Where's your work?

rocomath said:
Your calculator sucks.

Where's your work?

I only used my calculator, but I thought about it for #4, asymptote should be x=-1 and for sin(x) there is definitely an x value for y=-1.

chukie said:
I only used my calculator, but I thought about it for #4, asymptote should be x=-1 and for sin(x) there is definitely an x value for y=-1.
Are you on a 2nd username?

rocomath said:
Are you on a 2nd username?

Sorry, I went on my brother's account by mistake.

chukie said:
Sorry, I went on my brother's account by mistake.
It's okay, it was just funny to read your post as if you were pooka.

Anyways, yes sinx has the value y=-1 but would that be considered an asymptote? It bounces between [tex]|\sin x|\leq 1[/tex]

How about #5? What have you learned about the powers in the numerator and denominator that relate to the asmyptote?

rocomath said:
It's okay, it was just funny to read your post as if you were pooka.

Anyways, yes sinx has the value y=-1 but would that be considered an asymptote? It bounces between [tex]|\sin x|\leq 1[/tex]

How about #5? What have you learned about the powers in the numerator and denominator that relate to the asmyptote?

Oh so the answer should be #5. I remember if you took the limit of that it would be -1, which means the horizontal asymptote is y=-1.

chukie said:
Oh so the answer should be #5. I remember if you took the limit of that it would be -1, which means the horizontal asymptote is y=-1.
Yep.

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\pm\infty}\frac{3-2x^2}{2x^2-3x+7}[/tex]

rocomath said:
Yep.

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\pm\infty}\frac{3-2x^2}{2x^2-3x+7}[/tex]

Thanks!:smile:

1. What does it mean for y=-1 to be an asymptote?

An asymptote is a line that a graph approaches but never touches. In this case, the graph will approach the line y=-1 but will never actually cross or touch it.

2. How can I determine if y=-1 is an asymptote for a given function?

To determine if y=-1 is an asymptote, you can look at the behavior of the function as it approaches x-values that make y=-1. If the function approaches y=-1 but never touches it, then it is an asymptote.

3. Can a function have more than one asymptote at y=-1?

Yes, a function can have multiple asymptotes at y=-1. This can happen if the function has multiple branches or if it has a complex behavior near y=-1.

4. What happens to the graph when y=-1 is an asymptote?

When y=-1 is an asymptote, the graph will approach the line y=-1 but will never intersect it. This can create a gap or "hole" in the graph at y=-1.

5. Can the asymptote y=-1 ever be crossed or touched by the graph?

No, by definition, an asymptote is a line that a graph will approach but never cross. Therefore, the graph will never touch or intersect the line y=-1 if it is an asymptote.