1LoT, heat needed to raise the temperature of oxygen.

In summary, the heat required to increase the temperature of 1.50 g of oxygen at a pressure of 9.00 atm by 108^\circ C at constant pressure is 148J. The specific heat of oxygen for an Isobaric process is 29.2 and the equation used is Q=n * C_p * delta T. It is recommended to consider one molecule of oxygen with a molecular weight of 32 when converting into mol. The answer may appear to be half of the calculated value due to a possible mistake or a different equation used by the online homework system. It is advised to double check the calculations and consider using LaTex for formatting equations.
lawtonfogle

Homework Statement

A container holds 1.50 g of oxygen at a pressure of 9.00 atm.

How much heat is required to increase the temperature by 108^\circ C at constant pressure?

C_p (specific heat of oxygen for an Isobaric process) = 29.2

Homework Equations

1LoT for Isobaric process.
Q=n * C_p * delta T

The Attempt at a Solution

So, plugging things in, with 1.5/16 to get the mols, got me to 295.65J. Plugging this into the online homework system gave me a 'WRONG'. So trying different degrees for different sigfigs and rounding gave me nothing. So finally, it just gave me the answer... which was 148J, or almost exactly half of my calculations.

So this leaves me with one of two issues. Either I plainly forgot something which was a divide by two, or the answer is half of what it should be. I want to know if I missed something big for two reasons:
A. So I don't do it again.
B. In case I am right, I can challenge my grade on this.

On a side note, I haven't been here for a long time, so what is used these days to put in equations in the 'pretty format'. Is it still LaTex of something like that?

Physics news on Phys.org
While converting into mol, consider one molecule of oxygen, and its molecular weight is 32.

I can provide a response to this content by saying that the calculation for the heat required to increase the temperature of oxygen at constant pressure is incorrect. The correct equation to use for this scenario is Q = n * C_p * delta T, where n is the number of moles of oxygen, C_p is the specific heat of oxygen for an isobaric process (29.2 J/mol*K), and delta T is the change in temperature (108°C or 381.15 K).

Based on the given information, the number of moles of oxygen is 1.5 g / 32 g/mol = 0.046875 mol. Plugging this into the equation, we get:

Q = (0.046875 mol) * (29.2 J/mol*K) * (381.15 K) = 536.72 J

Therefore, the correct answer is 536.72 J of heat is required to increase the temperature of 1.5 g of oxygen by 108°C at constant pressure. This is significantly different from the given answer of 148 J. It is possible that there was a calculation error or a misunderstanding of the equation used. I would recommend double-checking the calculations and the use of the correct equation.

In terms of formatting equations, LaTeX is still commonly used in scientific writing and can be used to display equations in a more visually appealing format. However, for simpler equations, using superscripts and subscripts can also be effective. It is always important to clearly label and explain the equations used in any scientific work.

1. What is 1LoT?

1LoT stands for 1 Liter of Oxygen at a Temperature of 0 degrees Celsius and a Pressure of 1 atmosphere. It is a standard unit used in thermodynamics to measure the amount of oxygen being studied.

2. How is 1LoT related to heat?

1LoT is used to measure the heat needed to raise the temperature of oxygen. It is a specific quantity that allows for consistent and accurate measurement of the heat needed.

3. Is 1LoT a constant value?

Yes, 1LoT is a constant value and is equivalent to 22.4 liters of oxygen at standard temperature and pressure (STP). This means that the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of oxygen by 1 degree Celsius remains the same for 1LoT, regardless of the initial temperature.

4. Why is 1LoT used in thermodynamics?

1LoT is used in thermodynamics because it allows for consistent measurement of the heat needed to raise the temperature of oxygen. It is a standard unit that eliminates the need for conversions and ensures accurate results in experiments.

5. How is 1LoT calculated?

1LoT is calculated by multiplying the volume of oxygen (1 liter) by the heat capacity of oxygen (21 J/mol K) and the change in temperature (1 degree Celsius). This results in a value of 22.4 J, which is the heat needed to raise the temperature of oxygen by 1 degree Celsius at STP.