How to Calculate Revolutions of a Wheel with Applied Brakes?

In summary, the problem involves a wheel with specific measurements rotating at a constant angular velocity. A brake is applied, causing the wheel to decelerate. To find the number of revolutions the wheel will make before coming to rest, one must calculate the angular deceleration and use rotational motion equations to find the total angular displacement.
Digdug12

Homework Statement

A wheel, with circumference 0.6 m and moment of inertial 43 kg m2 about its center, rotates about a frictionless axle with angular velocity 13 radians per second. A brake is applied which supplies a constant force to a point on the perimeter of the wheel of 9 N, tangent to the wheel and opposing the motion. How many revolutions will the wheel make before coming to rest?

Homework Equations

KErotational=I*Omega2
Torque=I*alpha
I=M*R2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm lost at how to start this problem, I tried to get the deceleration caused by the 9N force applied on the wheel by Newton's Second Law but I couldn't get the mass, so i used the I=M*R2 equation to get the mass and then used F=M*a to find the deceleration, took that answer and divided by 2pi to find the revolutions, but the answer was off. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
The angular deceleration is given by [itex]a= \alpha r[/itex]. Find [itex]\alpha[/itex]. Then use the equations of rotational motion to find the total angular displacement from the initial angular velocity to rest.

I used a=alpha*r and i got the alpha to be .003, using Omegaf2=Omegai2+2*alpha*Theta i get 28166, but the answer should be 672.9

EDIT: nevermind, i got it, thanks!

Last edited:

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated by summing the product of each particle's mass and its distance from the axis of rotation squared.

2. How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Moment of inertia is different from mass because it takes into account the distribution of mass in an object and its distance from the axis of rotation. While mass is a measure of an object's overall amount of matter, moment of inertia is a measure of its rotational inertia.

3. What factors affect moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia of an object is affected by its mass, the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation, and the distance of the mass from the axis. The shape and size of an object also play a role in determining its moment of inertia.

4. How is moment of inertia used in real-world applications?

Moment of inertia is used in many real-world applications, such as determining the stability of structures like bridges and buildings, predicting the behavior of spinning objects like tops and gyroscopes, and calculating the angular acceleration of objects in rotational motion.

5. How can I calculate moment of inertia for an object?

The moment of inertia for a simple object can be calculated using specific formulas based on its shape and size. For more complex objects, moment of inertia can be calculated by dividing the object into smaller segments and summing their individual moments of inertia. There are also computer programs and online calculators available to help with these calculations.