Calculating Number of Air Bubbles Needed for Sphere to Float in Water

In summary, the conversation discusses the minimum number of air bubbles needed to keep a sphere floating in water, based on Archimedes's Principle. The correct equation for calculating this number is n =( M - Vdw) / V0dw, with the answer being greater than the calculated value in order to ensure the object stays afloat.
leena19

Homework Statement

Water in a tank is uniformly bubbled with small identical air bubbles each having volume V0.
A sphere of mass M and volume V floats in water due to the attachment of certain number of air bubbles in the surface.If dw is the density of water,and the minimum number of air bubbles that is needed to be attached to keep the sphere floating in water is n, then

(1) n =( M-Vdw)/ (V0dw )
(2) n > ( M-Vdw)/ (V0dw )
(3) n < ( M-Vdw)/ (V0dw)
(4) n > ( V0dw )/( M-Vdw)
(5) n < ( V0dw )/( M-Vdw)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the sphere to float,the density of water+ air bubble mixture should be more than the density of the sphere (I think?).
Assuming it is so,
dw + n/v0 > M/V
n/v0 > M/V - dw

I get
n > [ (M - dw*V)/V ] * V0
which is not among the choices given

so I hope someone can tell me where I'm going wrong.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi leena19,

Never mind the density relation. Go back to basics, namely Archimedes's Principle. For the mass to float, the displaced water must have weight equal to the weight of the object. Here there are two kinds of displaced water: (1) water displaced by the floating mass (we assume that it barely floats, i.e. its entire volume is under water) and (2) water displaced by n bubbles attached underneath the object.

Can you finish it now?

OK I think I get it now,

Mg = (V + nV0)dw*g
therefore n =( M - Vdw) / V0dw

which would be answer no.(1) ?

I would say the answer is (2). Let's say you are given numbers and you substitute and you get 156.6. Since bubbles come in whole numbers, the correct answer would be 157. With 156 bubbles the object would sink. So the > sign ensures that this does not happen.

Alright.
Thank you very much!

1. How do you calculate the number of air bubbles needed for a sphere to float in water?

The number of air bubbles needed for a sphere to float in water is determined by the Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the water it displaces. Therefore, the number of air bubbles needed is dependent on the weight and volume of the sphere and the density of water.

2. What is the formula for calculating the number of air bubbles needed?

The formula for calculating the number of air bubbles needed is: (weight of sphere/weight of water) x volume of sphere. This will give the number of air bubbles that need to be present in the sphere to displace enough water to float.

3. How does the density of water affect the number of air bubbles needed for a sphere to float?

The density of water plays a crucial role in determining the number of air bubbles needed for a sphere to float. The denser the water, the more air bubbles are needed to displace enough water to create the buoyant force needed for the sphere to float.

4. Can the number of air bubbles needed change for different sized spheres?

Yes, the number of air bubbles needed can change for different sized spheres. This is because the weight and volume of the sphere will vary, and therefore, the amount of water displaced will also vary. The larger the sphere, the more air bubbles will be needed to displace enough water to create the buoyant force.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the number of air bubbles needed for a sphere to float?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the number of air bubbles needed for a sphere to float. These include the temperature and salinity of the water, as well as any impurities or objects inside the sphere that may affect its weight and volume.