About state of matter and melting point

In summary, the conversation discusses three conceptual problems related to the properties of ice and water. These include the volumetric expansion of water when frozen, the effect of pressure on the melting point of substances, and the lower density of ice compared to water. The response provides a link explaining the structure of ice crystals which can help to better understand these concepts.
songoku

Homework Statement

Hi all

I have conceptual problems :
1. In cold countries, water in pipe lines freezes in winter season. Freezing causes volumetric expansion and may burst the pipes.
My question :why freezing causes volumetric expansion?

2. Mostly, substance increases their melting point when a pressure is applied in their solid state. Ice is an exception. Applying pressure to ice will lower its melting point.
My question : why when a pressure is applied to an object, the melting point will increase? And why this concept can't be applied to ice?

3. Why does ice has lower density compared to water?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I think freezing causes volumetric compression. I imagine the water freezes to ice and I think that the volume becomes smaller.

2. I don't have any ideas.

3. Ice is a solid and I think it should have stronger inter-molecular force compared to water. Stronger inter-molecular force means that it has higher density. But ice floats on water and it means that it has lower density. I don't understand.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
All of your questions are related to the structure of ice crystals. See http://www.iapws.org/faq1/freeze.htm for an explanation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ideasrule

Ah thank a lot for the link. I understand the first and third questions but the link doesn't explain about second question.

Thanks

1. What are the three states of matter?

The three states of matter are solid, liquid, and gas. Solids have a fixed shape and volume, liquids have a fixed volume but take the shape of their container, and gases have no fixed shape or volume.

2. What is the melting point of a substance?

The melting point of a substance is the temperature at which it changes from a solid to a liquid. It is a characteristic property of a substance and can vary depending on factors such as pressure and impurities.

3. How is the melting point of a substance determined?

The melting point of a substance is typically determined by heating a sample of the substance and observing the temperature at which it changes from a solid to a liquid. It can also be determined by using specialized instruments such as a melting point apparatus.

4. Why do substances have different melting points?

The melting points of substances vary because of differences in the strength of the intermolecular forces between their particles. Substances with stronger intermolecular forces will have higher melting points as it takes more energy to break these forces and change the substance from a solid to a liquid.

5. Can the melting point of a substance change?

Yes, the melting point of a substance can change depending on external factors such as pressure and impurities. It can also change if the substance undergoes a chemical reaction, as the resulting product may have a different melting point than the original substance.