Can I Connect My Outdoor Light's Neutral to the Ground Wire for a Quick Fix?

In summary, connect the lamp's neutral wire to the incoming ground wire at the breaker to solve the issue.
david90
I have an outdoor light that doesn't work because the contractor did not correctly wire up neutral line. The hot and ground are correctly wired but the neutral is not. My DMM didn't show a voltage when I measure hot and neutral. The house is built and it would be a pain in the *** to tear up the wall, find the wire and re-wire it.

Since the ground wire is connected to the neutral wire at the breaker, what if I just connect the light's neutral to the incoming ground wire? Is this a significant hazard? I did try it and the light worked.

Also, I measured 90VAC between ground and neutral. Is this indicative if a bad grounding connection?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Something is goofy. If you are measuring 90v between ground and neutral then the neutral must be tied somewhere to the hot or to some device. There can be a bigger issue somewhere else in the house.

The solution to ground the lamp would work, but consider doing more investigation around the house.

It also sounds like there is a break in the neutral wire in the cable.
If it was grounded at the front of the house, it shouldn't have 90 volts on it.
High impedance digital multimeters can give such readings even if there is no current available at 90 volts.
It can be just due to the disconnected neutral wire coupling capacitively to the active wire.

Sometimes it is possible to use the old cable to pull a new one through the plastic pipe. This shouldn't be expensive.

Although the lamp might work, this sounds like a death trap. I'd call an electrician and pay him to fix it and check that the house is up to code.

vk6kro said:
It also sounds like there is a break in the neutral wire in the cable.
If it was grounded at the front of the house, it shouldn't have 90 volts on it.
High impedance digital multimeters can give such readings even if there is no current available at 90 volts.
It can be just due to the disconnected neutral wire coupling capacitively to the active wire.

Sometimes it is possible to use the old cable to pull a new one through the plastic pipe. This shouldn't be expensive.

Although the lamp might work, this sounds like a death trap. I'd call an electrician and pay him to fix it and check that the house is up to code.

The lamp does work if I substitute the ground for the neutral. In this case, the ground wire must be connected to the neutral at the breaker.

Waht, if a hot wire is tied to ground wire somewhere in my house like you said, then it would of tripped the breaker because my neutral is tied to ground. I verified that neutral is tied ground by connecting my light's neutral to ground and it worked.

1. What is residential electrical wiring?

Residential electrical wiring is the system of wires and cables that deliver electricity to various devices and appliances throughout a home. It includes the main service panel, branch circuits, outlets, and switches.

2. What are the different types of residential electrical wiring?

The most common types of residential electrical wiring are non-metallic sheathed cable (NM), armored cable (AC), and conduit wiring. NM is used for general wiring, AC is more durable and used in areas where there may be exposure to moisture, and conduit wiring uses metal or plastic pipes to protect the wires.

3. How do I know if my electrical wiring needs to be replaced?

There are a few signs that may indicate the need for a wiring replacement. These include flickering lights, frequently tripped circuit breakers, burning smells, and outdated knob-and-tube wiring. If you are unsure, it is best to have a professional electrician inspect your wiring.

4. Can I do my own residential electrical wiring?

While it is possible for homeowners to do their own electrical wiring, it is highly recommended to hire a licensed electrician. Electrical work can be dangerous and mistakes can lead to fire hazards. It is also important to follow local building codes and regulations.

5. How often should residential electrical wiring be inspected?

It is recommended to have a professional electrician inspect your wiring every 5-10 years, or if you notice any warning signs such as flickering lights or tripped breakers. If you are planning on buying or selling a home, it is also important to have the wiring inspected to ensure it is up to code and safe.