Test tube containing small portion of aspirin

• Thread starter stanton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test Tube
In summary, the conversation discussed an experiment involving aspirin and various solutions, including NaOH and HCl. When FeCl3 was added to the solution, it turned intense purple, indicating a positive test for phenols. The conversation then delved into the reason for this result and how it proves that aspirin is active in the intestine rather than the stomach. The pH levels of the stomach and intestine were also mentioned, with the understanding that aspirin is ionized in the intestine, making it more soluble and easily absorbed. The role of NaOH in converting aspirin to salicylic acid, a substituted phenol, was also discussed. Overall, the conversation concluded that the experiment provided valuable insights into the activity and absorption of aspirin
stanton
I had an experiment. A test tube containing small portion of aspirin was prepared. NaOH was added to the solution, and then HCl was added. when I mixed FeCl3 with the solution, the solution turned intense purple.
This result is the positive test for phenols.

And why does this result proves that the aspirin is active in intestine? I cannot understand. I thought the aspirin is most active in stomach, because I though the acid converts aspirin to salicylic acid?

Chemistry news on Phys.org

What is the pH of the stomach? How about lower down in the intestines?

stomach has lower ph than the intestine(acidic). intestine is basic, right?

Yes. The stomach is acidic and the intestines are somewhat basic. This means that aspirin is not ionized in the stomach and is ionized further down the intestines. How might this affect solubility? Absorption?

If the ASA is ionized in intestine, it might mean the ASA is dissolved. So intestine can absorb this ASA. Then the ASA is very active in intestine. And NaOH in my experiment converted the ASA to sali acid(Test tube with NaOH is similar to the environment of intestine). And although the HCl was added lastly, the ASA is not very affected, so it showed phenol test to be positive. (salicylic acid is a substituted phenol) I think I am getting it. :) Thank you!

1. What is the purpose of the test tube containing a small portion of aspirin?

The purpose of the test tube is to contain a small portion of aspirin for experimental or analytical purposes.

2. How much aspirin is typically contained in the test tube?

The amount of aspirin contained in the test tube can vary depending on the specific experiment or analysis being conducted. However, it is typically a small portion, usually measured in milligrams.

3. How is the aspirin portion measured and added to the test tube?

The aspirin portion is typically measured using a scale or pipette and then added to the test tube using a spatula or funnel. The precise measurement and method may vary depending on the experiment or analysis being performed.

4. What are the safety precautions when handling a test tube containing aspirin?

Aspirin is a chemical compound that can be harmful if ingested or inhaled in large quantities. Therefore, it is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling the test tube. It is also important to handle the test tube with care and avoid any spills or breakage.

5. How should the test tube be stored after use?

The test tube containing aspirin should be properly labeled and stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. It should also be kept out of reach of children and pets. If the aspirin is no longer needed, it should be disposed of properly according to the instructions on the label or by following proper chemical disposal guidelines.