Galilean Coordinate Transformation (Classical Relativity)

In summary, an observer in an inertial reference frame sees two cameras flash simultaneously, with the first flash occurring at the origin and the second flash occurring at a distance of 800m on the x-axis. When a second observer in a reference frame traveling at 0.90c relative to the first observer measures the coordinates of the flashes using the Galilean Coordinate Transformation, they will get the same values as the first observer. This shows that the flashes are simultaneous in their reference frame.
pratikpatel

Homework Statement

An observer in an inertial reference frame S sees two cameras flash simultaneously. The cameras are 800 m apart. He measures that the first flash occurs at four coordinates given by X1=0, Y1=0, Z1=0 and T1=0, and that the second flash occurs at four coordinates given by X2=800m, Y2=0, Z2=0 and T2=0.

a. If a second observer rides along in a reference frame S' traveling at a speed of 0.90c relative to S, use the Galilean Coordinate Transformation to calculate what he measures for the four coordinates for the first and second camera flashes (in reference frame S')?

b. According to the observer in S', how far apart are the camera flashes (X2' - X1')?

c. According to the observer in S', what is the time difference between the camera flashes (T2' - T1')?

d. According to the observer in S', are the camera flashes simultaneous? Explain.

Homework Equations

Galilean Coordinate Transformation Equations:

x' = x - vt
y' = y
z' = z
t' = t

When I use the equations above, the values of x', y', z', and t' come up same as x, y, z, and t. Is that right? I am pretty sure I'm doing something wrong here.

Physics news on Phys.org
pratikpatel said:
When I use the equations above, the values of x', y', z', and t' come up same as x, y, z, and t. Is that right? I am pretty sure I'm doing something wrong here.
Looks right to me. (The values of x' and x are the same since t = 0.)

What is Galilean coordinate transformation?

Galilean coordinate transformation is a mathematical tool used in classical relativity to relate the coordinates of an event in one frame of reference to the coordinates of the same event in another frame of reference that is moving at a constant velocity with respect to the first frame. It is based on the principles of Galilean relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference.

How does Galilean coordinate transformation work?

To perform a Galilean coordinate transformation, the coordinates of an event in one frame of reference (x,y,z,t) are related to the coordinates of the same event in another frame of reference (x',y',z',t') using the following equations: x' = x - vt, y' = y, z' = z, and t' = t. Here, v is the relative velocity between the two frames of reference.

What are the limitations of Galilean coordinate transformation?

Although Galilean coordinate transformation is a useful tool in classical relativity, it has limitations. It only applies to frames of reference that are moving at a constant velocity with respect to each other. It also does not take into account the effects of gravity, acceleration, and the speed of light, which are described by the principles of Einstein's special and general theories of relativity.

Why is Galilean coordinate transformation important?

Galilean coordinate transformation is important because it allows us to understand and describe the motion of objects in different frames of reference. It is also the basis for the concept of relativity, which has greatly influenced our understanding of the laws of physics and the nature of space and time.

How is Galilean coordinate transformation related to other concepts in physics?

Galilean coordinate transformation is closely related to other concepts in physics, such as the principle of relativity, the concept of frames of reference, and the laws of motion. It is also a precursor to the more advanced theories of relativity developed by Albert Einstein, which have revolutionized our understanding of the universe.