Specific Heat Capacity and Specific Latent Heat

In summary, a student is seeking advice on how to create an experiment for their physics assignment on Specific Heat Capacity. They are interested in exploring the connection between Specific Heat Capacity and Specific Latent Heat and are wondering if these concepts can be included in the same experiment. A suggestion is made to heat a block of ice and graph the temperature over time to demonstrate the latent heat. A resource is also provided for reference.
GKRKarateKid
Hi Everyone :smile:

I have to create an experiment for my assignment in Physics.
I've chosen to do something about Specific Heat Capacity. A boy in my class is also doing SHC so I wanted to make mine a little different from his.

I've just recently joined physics (never done it before) and I was wondering if Specific Heat Capacity and Specific Latent Heat have anything in common. Or if there is any way that I could include them in the same experiment and somehow discuss how (if) they relate to each other by comparing the results from the experiment.

Oh and I'm sorry if i posted this in the wrong section. I wasn't sure whether to post it in here or the homework section :redface:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could heat a block of ice until it goes to vapor, always checking for temperature, then graphing time vs temperature and showing the latent heat in the graph as an horizontal line.

Sakha said:
You could heat a block of ice until it goes to vapor, always checking for temperature, then graphing time vs temperature and showing the latent heat in the graph as an horizontal line.

Do you mean something along the lines of this ?
http://www.absorblearning.com/media/item.action?quick=zy

1. What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is a physical property of a substance that measures the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of the substance by one degree Celsius. It is often denoted by the symbol "C" and is measured in units of joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C).

2. How is specific heat capacity different from specific latent heat?

Specific heat capacity and specific latent heat are two different physical properties that measure how a substance responds to heat. Specific heat capacity measures the amount of heat energy required to change the temperature of a substance, while specific latent heat measures the amount of heat energy required to change the state of a substance (e.g. from solid to liquid or liquid to gas) at a constant temperature.

3. What factors affect the specific heat capacity of a substance?

The specific heat capacity of a substance is affected by its chemical composition, temperature, and physical state. Substances with stronger intermolecular forces (such as water) tend to have higher specific heat capacities, while substances with weaker intermolecular forces (such as metals) tend to have lower specific heat capacities.

4. How is specific heat capacity measured?

Specific heat capacity is typically measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that can accurately measure the amount of heat energy absorbed or released by a substance. The substance is heated or cooled and its change in temperature is recorded, along with the amount of heat energy supplied or extracted. The specific heat capacity can then be calculated using the formula Q = m x C x ΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the substance, C is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

5. Why is specific heat capacity important?

Specific heat capacity is important because it helps us understand how different substances respond to heat and how much energy is required to change their temperatures. It also plays a crucial role in many practical applications, such as cooking, heating and cooling systems, and thermodynamics. Additionally, specific heat capacity is used in industries such as materials science and engineering to design and test the properties of various substances.