How to get the horizontal asymptote.

In summary, we discussed the equation f(x)=(9x^2-36)/(x^2-9) and how to find the horizontal asymptote, which is the line g(x)=L that the function approaches as x goes to infinity. We also looked at how to find the equation for each horizontal asymptote and determined that there is no specific formula for this, but rather a method of thinking about x as a large number and simplifying the expression to determine the asymptote. Additionally, we discussed how to find the intervals for when the function is increasing by analyzing the behavior of the derivative and determining when it is positive.
UrbanXrisis
f(x)=(9x^2-36)/(x^2-9)

I forgot how to get the hotizontal asymptote. Is it f(x)=0?
When I do that, there is no way to solve it

Also, how do I find the intervals for when f is increasing?

I'm not asking for the answer, but the equation, I totally forgot

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Horizontal (right-hand side) asymptote: [tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}f(x)[/tex]
Horizontal (left-hand side) asymptote: [tex]\lim_{x\to-\infty}f(x)[/tex]

What does the derivative of a function tell you about the function's behaviour?

I'm even more confused. I know that getting the vertical asymptote is setting the denominaor equal to zero and solving for it but what is it for the horizontal?

are you familiar with limits?

UrbanXrisis said:
I'm even more confused. I know that getting the vertical asymptote is setting the denominaor equal to zero and solving for it but what is it for the horizontal?
What value L do f(x) approach when x goes to infinity?
The line g(x)=L (parallell to the x-axis!) is called the horizontal asymptote to f(x)

So how would I find the equation for each horizontal asymptote of: f(x)=(9x^2-36)/(x^2-9)

Think this way:
Let x be a huge positive number.
Then, surely, 9x^2 must be a lot larger than 36.
Similarly, x^2 must be a lot larger than 9.

Hence, you don't make a big mistake by setting:
[tex]9x^{2}-36\approx9x^{2}[/tex]
(the relative error is tiny)
Similarly:
[tex]x^{2}-9\approx{x^{2}}[/tex]
Hence:
[tex]f(x)=\frac{9x^{2}-36}{x^{2}-9}\approx\frac{9x^{2}}{x^{2}}=9[/tex]
(for huge positive x's)
Hence, the horizontal right-hand asymptote is L(x)=9

I understand your process of thinking however, is there a specific formula that can calculate that number?

I know that to obtain the vertical asymptote, it's by setting the denominator to zero.

e.g. f(x)=(9x^2-36)/(x^2-9)
x^2-9=0
x=+3,-3

so the equations for the vertical asymptote is x=3 and x=-3

how do I do this with the horizontal asymptote?

No, there is in general no foolproof method in determining limit values (in your case, to get the horizontal asymptotes)
There exist a rigourous method which in principle tells you whether a chosen number is a limit or not (i.e, if you've made a right (or wrong!) guess)

The reasoning I gave you, however, is sufficient to determine the horizontal assymptotes you'll meet.
So here's a method, if you like:
1. Think of x as a huge number.
Practical meaning:
If x appears in a sum (or difference) with a constant, discard that constant.
Further, retain only the highest "power" of x in a sum where x appears in multiple terms.
For example: [tex]3x^{2}-7x+14\approx3x^{2}[/tex] when x is huge?
Why?
[tex]\frac{3x^{2}}{7x}=\frac{3}{7}x[/tex] which is huge since x is huge.
That is the magnitude (always positive!) of the term "3x^2" is much bigger than the magnitude of "-7x".

2. These simplifications should be enough to find the asymptote.

I understand the idea now. My second question addressed finding the intervals for when f is increasing.

f(x)=(9x^2-36)/(x^2-9)

how do I find the intervals for when f is increasing?

I quote myself:
arildno said:
What does the derivative of a function tell you about the function's behaviour?

In particular, how is information of whether a function is increasing or decreasing given by the values of the derivative?

Analyze the behavior of the derivative of the function. If it's positive then the function is increasing.

So find the derivative of: f(x)=(9x^2-36)/(x^2-9)

then find the intervals of when it is increasing and that will tell me when the function is increasing. Correct?

UrbanXrisis said:
So find the derivative of: f(x)=(9x^2-36)/(x^2-9)

then find the intervals of when it is increasing and that will tell me when the function is increasing. Correct?

Yes, the function is increasing when f '(x) > 0.

NO!
You find the intervals where f'(x) is greater than zero, not the intervals where f'(x) is increasing..

f`(x)=(90x)/(x^2-9)^2

this is positive from [0,3) and (3,infinity)

is this correct?

Yes; assuming your expression for f'(x) is correct.

I actually cheated and used a graphing calculator to solve for when (90x)/(x^2-9)^2 is positive. How would I solve it without a graphing calculator?

Well, the denominator is always non-negative (why?)
Hence, only the sign of the numerator is of importance (why?)

okay, I got a good understanding of it all. Thanks for the help & advice.

1. What is a horizontal asymptote?

A horizontal asymptote is a line that a curve approaches but never touches as the input values get larger or smaller. It represents the limit of the curve as it extends to infinity.

2. How do I determine the horizontal asymptote of a function?

To determine the horizontal asymptote of a function, you need to first simplify the function by dividing out any common factors. Then, you can examine the highest degree terms in the numerator and denominator. If the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator, the horizontal asymptote will be y = 0. If the degrees are equal, the horizontal asymptote will be the ratio of the leading coefficients. If the degree of the numerator is greater than the degree of the denominator, there will be no horizontal asymptote.

3. Can a function have more than one horizontal asymptote?

Yes, a function can have more than one horizontal asymptote. This can occur when the degrees of the numerator and denominator are equal, but the leading coefficients are different. In this case, there will be two horizontal asymptotes, one for the positive values of x and one for the negative values of x.

4. What is the significance of a horizontal asymptote?

The horizontal asymptote is significant because it helps to describe the behavior of a function as the input values approach infinity. It can also provide information about the end behavior of a graph and can be used to identify the range of a function.

5. Can a function cross its horizontal asymptote?

No, a function cannot cross its horizontal asymptote. This is because the horizontal asymptote represents the limit of the function as it extends to infinity. If the function were to cross the asymptote, it would not be approaching the same value as the input values get larger, thus contradicting the definition of an asymptote.