Understanding the Presence of Vacancies in Crystal Lattices

• Thread starter djodjo444
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Zero
In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of vacancies in a crystal lattice and the reasons behind it. The concept of entropy is mentioned and its relationship with the number of defects is explained, along with the formula for calculating the number of possible microscopic states. It is also noted that nature aims to minimize free energy rather than maximize entropy. The conversation concludes with a recommendation to refer to a book for further understanding and a thank you to all for the explanations.
djodjo444
Hello

Is anybody can help me for the next question (the topic is defects in crystal) :

It should be quantitatively explained, why vacancies always exist in a crystal lattice?

Thank you very much to the person who can help me :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you mean: quantitatively?
You want an explanation that gets the numbers right, rather than just explaining qualitatively why they are there?

I think we can explain that qualitatively and with formula (quantitatively)!? No I don't need the exact number, just the formula who explain why we have always vacancies (if it's possible).

I know that's the increase of entropy who can explain those vacancies but I don't understand why! Do you have an explanation?

Thanks a lot

Try http://www.tf.uni-kiel.de/matwis/amat/def_en/kap_2/backbone/r2_1_1.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so you know what entropy is, right?
It is basically the number W of microscopic states that a system can be in, although for various reasons, we usually prefer working with a multiple its natural logarithm S = k ln(W), where k is the Boltzmann constant and S is called the entropy.
So suppose we have a very simply crystal, with N lattice positions, each of which either contains an atom, or not. If all the lattice positions are filled, there is only one state the system can be in, so W = 1.
If there is one defect, it can be in N different positions, so (assuming no symmetries), W = N.
If there are two defects, the number of possible grids with (N - 2) positions filled and 2 vacant is W = N(N - 1)/2. More generally, if you have n missing atoms in the grid of N, the number of ways that you can choose the n positions to put your defects is (N choose n), i.e. W = N! / ((N - n)! n!).
Of course, there is a maximum here, where exactly half of the sites is filled and the other half is empty. So by entropy considerations alone, it would be most convenient to have half of the crystal empty :)

But then, entropy is not all of the story. Nature makes a big point not about maximizing the entropy, but rather about minimizing the free energy. The formula for this is F = U - TS, where U is the internal energy of the system, T is temperature and S is the entropy. From here you can see that increasing the entropy lowers the free energy, which is precisely what we want, right? But wait, adding defects also has a price: it increases the total internal energy of the system (basically, the reason being that you need to do work to take out an atom from a perfect crystal). So apart from increasing S, you also increase U. Since the target is not to make S as large, but F as small as possible, you need to find a balance between increasing F by adding internal energy, and decreasing it by adding entropy. Each empty spot that you create gives the system more microscopic states to be in, but it also adds energy to it.

If you want to see the formulas, you should go get a good book. If you search on Google Books for example, you can find something like this, which hopefully helps.

However one should note that minimizing the free energy is equivalent to maximizing the entropy in this case.

Ok thank you all for your explanation it helps me a lot!

See you soon for a new question :-)

What are zero dimensional defects?

Zero dimensional defects refer to imperfections or disruptions in the atomic structure of a material that are confined to a single point in space. These defects are typically on the nanometer scale and can affect the properties and behavior of the material.

What causes zero dimensional defects?

Zero dimensional defects can be caused by a variety of factors, such as impurities in the material, thermal fluctuations, or mechanical stresses. They can also be intentionally created through processes like ion implantation or laser irradiation.

What are some examples of zero dimensional defects?

Some common examples of zero dimensional defects include vacancies (missing atoms), interstitials (extra atoms), and substitutional impurities (atoms of a different element). Other examples include point defects in crystals, such as dislocations or grain boundaries.

How do zero dimensional defects affect material properties?

Zero dimensional defects can significantly impact the properties of a material. They can alter mechanical, electrical, thermal, and optical properties, leading to changes in strength, conductivity, thermal conductivity, and color. They can also affect the material's response to external stimuli, such as light or heat.

Can zero dimensional defects be controlled or eliminated?

While some zero dimensional defects can be controlled or eliminated through careful processing and purification techniques, others are inherent to the material and cannot be completely eliminated. However, their effects can be mitigated through engineering and design strategies.