Why do galaxies drift apart in the expanding universe?

In summary, the conversation discusses various concepts related to the expansion of the universe and how it is observed through blue-shift and red-shift techniques. It is also mentioned that the expansion of space-time can be understood through the increase of time coordinate value.
Hexorg
Hello, everyone.
This is my first post in this forums. I wanted to discuss a few concepts after reading Stephen Hawkin's "The Grand Design" book, and a search engine suggested your forums :)

Particularly, I want to talk about the fact that all the galaxies drift "apart" from each other. I understand how blue-shift and red-shift techniques work, but wouldn't you need to know some other factor as a reference point? In other words, when we observe the star's light, giving of a wavelength, say 580nm (I know starts emit all kinds of wavelength, but just use one for simplicity), how do we know that it's supposed to be smaller then 580nm (blue-shifted) or bigger then 580nm (red-shifted)? We'd have to know the compound of the galaxy to tell the actual spectrum that we'd see from it, wouldn't we?

But setting that aside, and working from the point that universe is expanding. Let's say that space-time = tXYZ (time, and 3 major dimensions). As lim(t) [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\infty[/tex], lim(tXYZ) [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\infty[/tex] too, so wouldn't space-time expand just because the time is "running" forward?

Space news on Phys.org
The shift is observed by analyzing the lines of the spectrum. Each element (particularly Hydrogen) has a set of lines which are specifically spaced. The spacing tells us what element is responsible and the shift is determined by the shift from the lines for that element from a non-moving source (such as the sun or in a lab on earth).

Oh, ok I saw those lines before. So the pattern is set?! I see thanks :D

That leaves the last part of the post though, what you guys think about the tXYZ expanding as t increases?

Hexorg said:
Oh, ok I saw those lines before. So the pattern is set?! I see thanks :D

That leaves the last part of the post though, what you guys think about the tXYZ expanding as t increases?

(t,x,y,z) is just a coordinate point in spacetime. If you increase t, it means you move from one spacetime location to another spacetime location with a different t coordinate value.

Oh... whops... concept fail.

1. What is the expansion of the universe?

The expansion of the universe refers to the continuous increase in the distance between galaxies and other celestial bodies. This expansion was first observed by Edwin Hubble in the 1920s and has since been confirmed by numerous studies and experiments. It is believed that the universe has been expanding since the Big Bang, about 13.8 billion years ago.

2. How does the expansion of the universe occur?

The expansion of the universe is driven by a force called dark energy, which makes up about 68% of the universe. This force is responsible for pushing galaxies and other objects further apart. As the universe expands, new space is constantly being created between galaxies, causing them to move away from each other.

3. Is the expansion of the universe accelerating or decelerating?

Recent studies have shown that the expansion of the universe is actually accelerating, meaning that the rate at which galaxies are moving away from each other is increasing over time. This is due to the influence of dark energy, which is thought to be causing the acceleration.

4. Will the expansion of the universe ever stop?

It is currently believed that the expansion of the universe will continue indefinitely, as long as the dark energy force remains constant. However, there are some theories that suggest the expansion may eventually slow down or even reverse, leading to a "big crunch" where the universe collapses back in on itself.

5. How does the expansion of the universe affect the observable universe?

The expansion of the universe has a significant effect on the observable universe. As galaxies move further apart, their light takes longer to reach us, meaning that we can only see a limited portion of the universe. This also means that in the future, some galaxies may become completely invisible to us as they move beyond the observable universe.