Tools of the Quantum Physicists

In summary: For example, the problem of finding the ground state of a two-level system cannot be solved exactly, but can be approximated very well by using the WKB approximation.
bugatti79
Folks,

I am reading some literature on QM. From what I understand QM can be used to great accuracy to predict the outcome of experiments and help to improve technology etc etc without having to worry to much about what it means i.e. the interpretations etc, i.e. the shut up and calculate approach.

I also read that QM can only provide analytical solutions to very simple cases like square wells, the simple oscillator which does not exist in reality.

So the question I have is what tools do Q physicists use in typical every work. Is it numerical methods/solutions mainly used instead of analytical methods to predict every quantum systems?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah. You should read about the WKB approximation. And yes, a lot of the tools that quantum physicists and engineers use are numerical methods. Oh, you should also read about statistical mechanics. The theory of quantum physics is used regularly in statistical mechanics. So you could say quantum physics is only used directly with numerical methods, but it can be used indirectly with statistical mechanics, in particular with Fermi-Dirac statistics and Bose-Einstein statistics.

bugatti79 said:
I also read that QM can only provide analytical solutions to very simple cases like square wells, the simple oscillator...
This is false.

There are a huge number of exactly solvable quantum systems, indeed, about as many as there are exactly solvable classical systems.

But even in classical mechanics, one doesn't get very far with exactly solvable models,
but has to use them in combination with perturbation theory.

For example, the problem of the motion of a classical system consisting only of the sun, the earth, and Jupiter cannot be solved exactly. nevertheless, we can predict the positions of all planets (an even more complex problem) very reliably.

Something similar holds for many quantum systems.

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains the fundamental nature of matter and energy, and how they interact with each other.

2. Why are tools important in quantum physics?

Tools are crucial in quantum physics because they allow scientists to measure, manipulate, and observe particles at the quantum level. Without these tools, it would be impossible to study and understand the behavior of particles at such a small scale.

3. What are some common tools used by quantum physicists?

Some common tools used by quantum physicists include particle accelerators, electron microscopes, and laser systems. Other tools may include spectroscopes, quantum computers, and various types of detectors.

4. How do these tools help in advancing our understanding of quantum physics?

These tools help in advancing our understanding of quantum physics by providing precise measurements and observations of particles, allowing scientists to test and validate theories. They also help in developing new technologies and applications based on the principles of quantum physics.

5. What are the challenges in developing tools for quantum physics?

Developing tools for quantum physics is a challenging task due to the complexity and sensitivity of quantum systems. The tools must be able to interact with particles without disrupting their behavior, which can be difficult to achieve. Additionally, the cost and resources required for building and maintaining these tools can also be a challenge.