Partial derivative using the definition

In summary: Your Name]In summary, you need to find the partial derivatives of f(x,y) = x^2y\sin(1/x) and calculate them at point (0,2) using the definition. To solve the limit \lim_{\Delta_x\rightarrow0} \sin(1/x+\Delta_x), you can use the property of limits and the squeeze theorem to show that the limit is equal to 0. This will help you in finding the partial derivatives at the given point.
U.Renko

Homework Statement

So I'm supposed to find the partial derivatives and calculate them at point (0,2) using the definition

Homework Equations

[itex] f(x,y) = x^2y\sin(1/x) [/itex] IF x ≠ 0
[itex] f(x,y) = 0 [/itex] IF x = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\frac{lim_{\Delta_x\rightarrow0} = (x + \Delta_x)^2y\sin(1/x+\Delta_x) - x^2y\sin(1/x)}{\Delta_x}[/itex]
the thing is, I'm not very sure how to solve
[itex] \lim_{\Delta_x\rightarrow0} \sin(1/x+\Delta_x) [/itex]

and if I just consider it the same as sin(1/x)
things get messed up

also this is my first time using LaTex.
Hope I did fine.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

To solve the limit \lim_{\Delta_x\rightarrow0} \sin(1/x+\Delta_x), you can use the following property of limits:

\lim_{x\rightarrow a} (f(x) + g(x)) = \lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x) + \lim_{x\rightarrow a} g(x)

Therefore, you can split the limit into two separate limits:

\lim_{\Delta_x\rightarrow0} \sin(1/x+\Delta_x) = \lim_{\Delta_x\rightarrow0} \sin(1/x) + \lim_{\Delta_x\rightarrow0} \sin(\Delta_x)

Since \lim_{\Delta_x\rightarrow0} \sin(\Delta_x) = 0, the second limit becomes 0. So now you just have to find the first limit, which you can do by using the squeeze theorem, as follows:

-1 \leq \sin(1/x) \leq 1

Therefore, by the squeeze theorem, \lim_{\Delta_x\rightarrow0} \sin(1/x) = 0.

So the final answer for the limit is 0.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is the definition of a partial derivative?

The partial derivative of a multivariable function is the rate of change of the function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

2. How is the partial derivative calculated using the definition?

To calculate the partial derivative using the definition, we take the limit as the change in the variable approaches 0, while keeping all other variables constant.

3. Why is the partial derivative important in calculus?

The partial derivative allows us to analyze the rate of change of a multivariable function in a specific direction, which is useful in optimization and understanding the behavior of functions in real-life applications.

4. Can the partial derivative be negative?

Yes, the partial derivative can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing in the direction of the variable being considered.

5. How is the concept of partial derivative related to total derivative?

The total derivative of a function is the sum of all its partial derivatives with respect to each variable. The concept of partial derivative is a fundamental building block in understanding and calculating the total derivative of a function.