Electric field of infinite nonconducting sheets

In summary, the conversation was about finding the electric field for two parallel nonconducting sheets of charge with uniform surface charge density. The electric field was calculated for three different regions and the possibility of needing to include a unit vector was mentioned.
nizsu
Hi, I am doing homework for my physics class and I think I am doing it right but the website keep saying I am wrong. Can anybody tell me where I am wrong? Thank you

Two infinite nonconducting sheets of charge are parallel to each other, with sheet A in the x = -2.85 plane and sheet B in the x = +2.85 m plane. Find the electric field in the region x < -2.85 m, in the region x > +2.85 m, and between the sheets for the following situations.
(a) when each sheet has a uniform surface charge density equal to +3.80 µC/m2

When x< -2.85, E= -4pikσ = -4.3*10^5
When x > 2.85. E = 4pikσ = 4.3*10^5

Physics news on Phys.org
nizsu said:
Hi, I am doing homework for my physics class and I think I am doing it right but the website keep saying I am wrong. Can anybody tell me where I am wrong? Thank you

Two infinite nonconducting sheets of charge are parallel to each other, with sheet A in the x = -2.85 plane and sheet B in the x = +2.85 m plane. Find the electric field in the region x < -2.85 m, in the region x > +2.85 m, and between the sheets for the following situations.
(a) when each sheet has a uniform surface charge density equal to +3.80 µC/m2

When x< -2.85, E= -4pikσ = -4.3*10^5
When x > 2.85. E = 4pikσ = 4.3*10^5
That's what I get too.

Maybe you're expected to include the unit vector, [itex]\hat{i}\,.[/itex]

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that a charged object has on other charged objects in its vicinity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What is an infinite nonconducting sheet?

An infinite nonconducting sheet is a theoretical object with an infinite surface area and zero thickness. It is a simplified model used in physics to describe the behavior of electric fields in certain situations.

How is the electric field of an infinite nonconducting sheet calculated?

The electric field of an infinite nonconducting sheet is calculated using the formula E = σ/2ε0, where E is the electric field, σ is the surface charge density, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

What is the direction of the electric field of an infinite nonconducting sheet?

The electric field of an infinite nonconducting sheet is always perpendicular to the surface of the sheet. This means that the direction of the electric field is parallel to the sheet and points away from the sheet on one side and towards the sheet on the other side.

Can the electric field of an infinite nonconducting sheet be changed?

Yes, the electric field of an infinite nonconducting sheet can be changed by altering the surface charge density or by introducing other charged objects nearby. However, the direction of the electric field will always remain perpendicular to the surface of the sheet.