Coulomb's Law and Electric Fields for a Triangle of Charges

In summary: The magnitude of a vector is always positive; the negative sign only tells us the direction of the vector.
gotpink74

Homework Statement

Consider three charges q1 = 4.3 nC, q2 = 6.6 nC, and q3 = -2.3 nC, arranged in a triangle as shown below.

(a) What is the electric force acting on the charge at the origin?
N, ° counterclockwise from the negative x-axis

(b) What is the net electric field at the position of the charge at the origin?
N/C, ° counterclockwise from the negative x-axi
picture of problem
http://www.webassign.net/holtphys/p16-38alt.gif

Homework Equations

F=kQ1Q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

which way is counterclockwise

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's counterclockwise from the negative x-axis, start from the left x-axis then go down.

gotpink74 said:

Homework Statement

Consider three charges q1 = 4.3 nC, q2 = 6.6 nC, and q3 = -2.3 nC, arranged in a triangle as shown below.

N, ° counterclockwise from the negative x-axis

N/C, ° counterclockwise from the negative x-axi
picture of problem
http://www.webassign.net/holtphys/p16-38alt.gif

Homework Equations

F=kQ1Q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

which way is counterclockwise
Find a watch with a second hand. Set it at the origin, face up. The second hand has a clockwise rotation. the opposite rotation is counter-clockwise.

What is the net electric field at the position of the charge at the origin? How do you find this

You're essentially finding the force exerted by a charge on an infinitesimally small positive charge, which happens to be placed at the origin.

electric field = kQ/r^2

does the nC stand for 10^-9

Yes, the n stands for nano, [itex]10^{-9}[/itex]

how do you find part a.

Have you attempted to solve it?

I have my last answers were
2.838e-6 N, -8.901e-6 ° counterclockwise from the negative x-axis

4.3e11 N/C, 3.87e12 ° counterclockwise from the negative x-axis BUT THEY WERE WRONG

Could you post your work?

(9*10^9)*(-2.3*10^(-9))*(4.3*10^(-9))/0.10^2

(9*10^9)*(4.3*10^(-9))*(6.6*10^(-9))/0.30^2 counterclockwise

net electric field
(9*10^9)*(4.3*10^(-9))/0.30^2
(9*10^9)*(4.3*10^(-9))/0.10^2

someone please help this is due tomorrow and I cannot figure it out!

For part a, you used Coulomb's law to find the force exerted by each charge on the charge at the origin. Have you paid attention to their directions? If you draw them as vectors, how would the resultant vector look?

And for electric field, you want to use the other charge as the Q you're using.

do i need to then find the hypotunse

i don't understand why I need a counterclockwise one arent they the same

gotpink74 said:
i don't understand why I need a counterclockwise one arent they the same

You want to find the magnitude, and the direction (angle)

Nothing has helped

how do i find the direction angle I was given no number for an angle

You should have the two perpendicular force vectors starting at the origin; they form a right triangle... If you have the two legs of a right triangle, you should be fine figuring out the rest of the parts of the triangle.

i found the angles now i can't find the force and electric field on the orgin

You posted Coulomb's law for the electric force. Draw a diagram and use vectors to represent the each force on the charge at the origin, then you should be able to get the magnitude of the resultant vector.

do negatives work

The magnitude of the vector is always positive; you have the angle to account for the direction.

However, the actual vector can be going in the negative direction.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How do you calculate the force between two charged particles using Coulomb's Law?

The force between two charged particles can be calculated using the formula F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force in Newtons, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles in Coulombs, and r is the distance between the particles in meters.

3. What is the direction of the force between two charged particles according to Coulomb's Law?

The force between two charged particles is always along the line connecting the two particles and can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the signs of the charges. Like charges (both positive or both negative) repel each other, while opposite charges (positive and negative) attract each other.

4. How does the distance between two charged particles affect the force between them according to Coulomb's Law?

The force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force between them decreases. In other words, the force becomes weaker as the particles move farther apart.

5. What are some real-life applications of Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is used in many real-life applications, including the functioning of electronic devices, such as computers and cell phones. It is also used in designing and operating electrical systems, such as power grids and electric motors. Additionally, Coulomb's Law is important in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, which is crucial in chemistry and materials science.