The Mystery of Quantum Entanglement: Feynman's View on the Double Slit Pattern

In summary, Feynman said that "the only mystery in QM" is quantum entanglement and that it can be found in the double slit experiment. He also said that all of the mysteries of QM can be found in the double slit experiment.
San K
Feynman said that " [the double slit int. pattern contains] the only mystery in QM"

was quantum entanglement not established (and bells theorem not postulated) then yet?

or did Feynman believe that the explanation for the double slit (interference pattern) would also somehow explain quantum entanglement?

Physics news on Phys.org
When did Feynman make this claim? The EPR paradox was published in 1935, and Bell published his results in 1964, but it wasn't until 1976 that this was tested by Lamehi-Rachti and Mittig. See the wikipedia article on EPR paradox for more history.

Matterwave said:
When did Feynman make this claim? The EPR paradox was published in 1935, and Bell published his results in 1964, but it wasn't until 1976 that this was tested by Lamehi-Rachti and Mittig. See the wikipedia article on EPR paradox for more history.

below is one of the (numerous) references to the above quote by Feynman:

http://www.physics.rutgers.edu/~steves/501/links/double_slit_experiment.pdf

I don't know where that quote specifically comes from, but I know he also said that all of the mysteries of QM can be found in the double slit experiment. The quote that I remember (I think it is in QM and Path Integrals, but it might be in the Lectures) implies not that the experiment is totally misunderstood, but the student of QM can learn a lot by thinking about all of the implications from it. I don't know if your quote was meant in a similar manner or not.

DrewD said:
I don't know where that quote specifically comes from, but I know he also said that all of the mysteries of QM can be found in the double slit experiment. The quote that I remember (I think it is in QM and Path Integrals, but it might be in the Lectures) implies not that the experiment is totally misunderstood, but the student of QM can learn a lot by thinking about all of the implications from it. I don't know if your quote was meant in a similar manner or not.

the quote is meant in a similar/same manner.

so the question is:

did Feynman then believe that Quantum Entanglement (another mystery of QM) can be found in the double slit experiment?

I misunderstood your question.
The timing is off for him having knowledge of Bell's Theorem (quote prob. dates from 1961-62), and perhaps the specifics of entanglement may not have been something he was specifically talking about, but the non-locality of QM is present in the double slit experiment.
However, he was addressing Freshmen... so I bet he was just hoping one of the boys in the class would be impressed and set him up with their sister.

The essential mystery of quantum mechanics is wave-particle duality. In terms of waves, the wonders of quantum entanglement don't really reveal themselves: the fraction of light that goes through a polarizer is well-described by Malus' law, which is entirely classical. It is only when you put polarization experiments in the context of other experiments which show the particle-like nature of light that Bell-type effects suddenly lead to profound philosophical issues.

And the double slit experiment certainly deals with this duality.

What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even if they are separated by a large distance. This means that measuring the state of one particle can instantly determine the state of the other particle, regardless of the distance between them.

What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic experiment in quantum mechanics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of matter. It involves shining a beam of particles, such as electrons, through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen. This experiment has been used to study the behavior of particles at the quantum level and has implications for our understanding of the nature of reality.

How did Feynman view the double slit pattern in relation to quantum entanglement?

Feynman believed that the double slit pattern was a result of quantum entanglement between the particles passing through the two slits. He proposed that the particles were interacting with each other in a non-local way, meaning that their entangled states were influencing each other even at a distance. This view challenges the traditional interpretation of quantum mechanics and has sparked much debate among scientists.

What are the implications of quantum entanglement for our understanding of reality?

Quantum entanglement suggests that there is a deeper level of interconnectedness in the universe than we previously thought. It challenges our traditional notions of cause and effect, and raises questions about the true nature of reality. Some scientists believe that quantum entanglement could be harnessed for practical applications such as quantum communication and computing.

Can quantum entanglement be explained by classical physics?

No, quantum entanglement is a purely quantum phenomenon that cannot be explained by classical physics. Classic physics operates on a macroscopic level and does not account for the strange behavior of particles at the quantum level. This is why quantum mechanics was developed as a separate branch of physics to better understand and explain these phenomena.