Questions about conservation of momentum and energy

In summary: However, if the external works cancel out, such as two people exerting equal and opposite work on the system, then mechanical energy will be conserved. In summary, when a bullet of small mass strikes a block suspended by two strings, the block moves with a velocity equal to the initial velocity of the bullet multiplied by the ratio of the block's mass to the bullet's mass. In an isolated system, mechanical energy is conserved, but if there is external work done on the system, the total energy will not be conserved.
jeremy222

Homework Statement

Ok so a block is suspended by two massless strings. A bullet hits the block and gets imbedded in it and moves. Bullet has speed v block has mass M. Bullet has mass m
A second question if that is a system isolated if gravity acts on it and related to that is if mechanical energy is conserved if a system is not isolated and why?

Homework Equations

Mechanical energy and momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to do this problem but my professor said something about we are appoximating something since the mass of the bullet is sufficiently small and if the bullet was very heavy everything would be messed up. I think it has something to do with the bullet not stopping in the block in a short amount of time but I am not sure and I was wondering if anyone knows what goes wrong when bullet is not sufficiently light. On another note, I know that if there is an external work done on a system then E mechanical is not conserved but what if the external works cancel out such as two people exerting equal and opposite work on a system. I hope my paragraph isn't too hard to decipher.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first question, when the bullet strikes the block, it transfers momentum to the block, which causes it to move. The momentum of the bullet before and after the collision is equal, since the bullet is massless. This means that the momentum of the block after the collision is equal to the momentum of the bullet before the collision, multiplied by the ratio of the block's mass to the bullet's mass (M/m). Thus, the velocity of the block after the collision is equal to the initial velocity of the bullet (v) times this ratio (M/m). For the second question, mechanical energy is conserved in an isolated system. If there is an external work done on the system then the total energy of the system will not be conserved. This is because the external work can either increase or decrease the total energy of the system.

1. What is conservation of momentum and energy?

Conservation of momentum and energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum and energy of a closed system remains constant over time, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. Why is conservation of momentum and energy important?

Conservation of momentum and energy is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects and systems in motion. It also plays a crucial role in many real-world applications, such as in engineering and astrophysics.

3. How is conservation of momentum and energy related?

Conservation of momentum and energy are closely related because in a closed system, any changes in momentum must be balanced by changes in energy, and vice versa. This is known as the law of conservation of mechanical energy.

4. Are there any exceptions to conservation of momentum and energy?

There are some situations where conservation of momentum and energy may appear to be violated, such as in the case of elastic collisions where some energy is lost as heat or sound. However, these exceptions can still be explained by taking into account external forces and other factors.

5. What are some real-world examples of conservation of momentum and energy?

Some real-world examples of conservation of momentum and energy include a swinging pendulum, a bouncing ball, and the motion of planets in the solar system. In all of these cases, the total momentum and energy of the system remains constant over time.