Finding the freezing point of water at high pressures

In summary, the problem is to find the freezing point of water at the bottom of the ocean with a pressure of 32.52bar using the Clausius-Clapeyron equation. The equation is ln(p2/p1) = deltaHfusion/R * ((1/t2)-(1/t1)) where deltaHfusion is 6.008*10^3 J/mol and T1 is the temperature of fusion, 273.15K. However, this equation may not be applicable in this case since we are not dealing with an ideal gas. Instead, we can use the basic formula dp/dT = l/TΔv with definite integrals to solve the problem.
Irishpixiie

Homework Statement

Find the freezing point of water at the bottom of the ocean where the pressure is 32.52bar

Homework Equations

Clausius-Clapeyron equation in the form of:
ln(p2/p1) = deltaHfusion/R * ((1/t2)-(1/t1))

Where the deltaHfusion is 6.008*10^3 J/mol
where the temperature of fusion (T1) equals 273.15

The Attempt at a Solution

this is what I did so far:

ln(32.52bar/1.00bar)= (6.008*10^3 J/mol/8.314 J/K*mol) * ((1/t2)-(1/273.15))
The first time I solved for T2
But then I was thinking that I should have accounted for the density change but then I got stuck because I don't know how to account for this in the formula above, so should I do it before I use this formula.

If someone could just help me with the steps of this problem I know that I can get the rest of it. I have hit a wall on where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Irishpixiie said:

Clausius-Clapeyron equation in the form of:
ln(p2/p1) = deltaHfusion/R * ((1/t2)-(1/t1))

Where did this come from? If from pv = RT then it's not applicable since we're not dealing with an ideal gas.

Work with the basic dp/dT = l/TΔv instead. Use definite integrals!

1. What is the freezing point of water at high pressures?

The freezing point of water at high pressures varies depending on the specific pressure being applied. However, at standard atmospheric pressure (1 atm), the freezing point of water is 0 degrees Celsius or 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. How do you find the freezing point of water at high pressures?

To find the freezing point of water at high pressures, a specialized apparatus called a pressure vessel must be used. This vessel applies high pressures to the water sample, which is then gradually cooled until it reaches its freezing point.

3. Why is it important to know the freezing point of water at high pressures?

It is important to know the freezing point of water at high pressures for various scientific and industrial applications. For example, in the study of Earth's deep oceans or other planets with high-pressure environments, understanding the behavior of water at different temperatures is crucial. Additionally, it can also aid in the development of new technologies for high-pressure applications.

4. Does the freezing point of water at high pressures differ from its freezing point at standard atmospheric pressure?

Yes, the freezing point of water at high pressures is different from its freezing point at standard atmospheric pressure. As the pressure increases, the freezing point of water also increases. This is due to the fact that at high pressures, the molecules in water are more tightly packed, making it more difficult for them to form a solid crystal lattice.

5. How does the freezing point of water at high pressures relate to the phase diagram of water?

The phase diagram of water shows the relationship between temperature, pressure, and the physical state of water (solid, liquid, gas). The freezing point of water at high pressures falls within the solid phase region of the phase diagram, as the water will solidify under those conditions. As the pressure increases, the solid phase region expands, indicating that the freezing point also increases.