Economics - Rate of return & Yield Rate

In summary, the yield rate of interest on the 274 day treasury bill is 5.48% and the buyer will receive an annualized yield rate of 3.56%.
Larrytsai
You are considering purchasing a 274 day treasury bill that has a maturity value of 100000, The yield rate of interest on the 274 day treasury bills is 5.48%.

Suppose you paid 96050 for a 274 day treasury bill with a 100000 maturity value and you sold it 150 days later for 98190.81. Calculate the rate of return you received on the treasury bill and find the yield rate of interest the buyer will receive on the treasury bill.

Calculations:

0 = -96050 + 98190.81(1+i)^(-150)
solve for i
i=0.01469%

I got this as my rate of return, however I am confused as to what the yield rate of interest is?

Physics news on Phys.org

The yield rate of interest is the annualized rate of return that the buyer will receive on the treasury bill. In this case, since the treasury bill has a maturity of 274 days, we need to annualize the rate of return to find the yield rate of interest.

To annualize the rate of return, we use the following formula:

Annualized rate of return = [(1 + rate of return)^(365/number of days held)] - 1

Substituting the values from the given information, we get:

Annualized rate of return = [(1 + 0.01469)^(365/150)] - 1
= 0.0356 or 3.56%

Therefore, the yield rate of interest that the buyer will receive on the treasury bill is 3.56%. This means that the buyer will earn a 3.56% return on their investment over the course of one year.

1. What is the difference between rate of return and yield rate?

Rate of return is a measurement of the percentage increase or decrease in the value of an investment over a specific period of time, while yield rate is the annual income generated by an investment as a percentage of its initial cost.

2. How is rate of return calculated?

Rate of return is calculated by taking the difference between the final value of an investment and its initial cost, dividing it by the initial cost, and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage.

3. What is a good rate of return for an investment?

A good rate of return for an investment varies depending on the type of investment and the level of risk involved. Generally, a higher rate of return is desirable, but it is important to consider the potential risks and volatility of the investment.

4. What factors influence the yield rate of an investment?

The yield rate of an investment is influenced by a variety of factors, such as the overall economic climate, interest rates, inflation, and the performance of the specific investment. Additionally, management fees and taxes can also impact the yield rate of an investment.

5. Can the rate of return and yield rate change over time?

Yes, the rate of return and yield rate can fluctuate over time due to various factors such as market conditions, economic changes, and the performance of the investment. It is important to regularly monitor and reassess investments to ensure they are meeting expectations.