Finding Partial Derivatives of a Multivariable Function

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the partial derivative ∂/∂z(∂u/∂x). The speaker initially struggles with finding this derivative, but ultimately figures it out with the help of others. They discuss fixing an error in the calculation of ∂u/∂x and simplifying the problem by getting rid of other variables. Eventually, the speaker is able to successfully calculate the desired partial derivatives.
geekba
Hi!
Here is my function:

2ag2fia.jpg

My task is to find:

206irmv.jpg

I think I know how to find ∂u/∂x, but I have no idea how to find ∂/∂z(∂u/∂x). Here is how I found ∂u/∂x:

http://oi48.tinypic.com/prsly.jpg

Does someone know how to find ∂/∂z(∂u/∂x)?
I appreciate any help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Before the second partial derivative, you should fix the error in your calculation of ∂u/∂x, specifically ∂([itex]\frac{xy}{z}[/itex])/∂x.

What's wrong with ∂(xy/z)/∂x? I checked it and it seems correct to me...

It's very important so all suggestions are welcome :)

geekba said:
What's wrong with ∂(xy/z)/∂x? I checked it and it seems correct to me...

Never mind. I hadn't scrolled all the way down, it is correct.

I believe you are having trouble calculating [itex]\frac{∂}{∂z}[/itex]([itex]∂\rho/∂s[/itex]) and [itex]\frac{∂}{∂z}[/itex]([itex]∂\rho/∂t[/itex]) (Let me know if this is not the case).
To simplify this, get rid of s and t by writing [itex]∂\rho/∂s[/itex] and [itex]∂\rho/∂t[/itex] as partial derivatives of [itex]\rho[/itex] w.r.t. x, y and z, using the chain rule. Since you know how s and t depend on x, y and z, this can be done.

Once you have done this, calculating [itex]\frac{∂}{∂z}[/itex]([itex]∂\rho/∂s[/itex]) and [itex]\frac{∂}{∂z}[/itex]([itex]∂\rho/∂t[/itex]) would be straightforward.

I got it finally :smile: Thaks a lot!

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is commonly used in multivariable calculus to analyze how a function changes in response to changes in one of its inputs.

2. How is a partial derivative different from a regular derivative?

A regular derivative is calculated with respect to a single variable, while a partial derivative is calculated with respect to one variable while holding other variables constant. In other words, a partial derivative takes into account the influence of multiple variables on the function, while a regular derivative only considers one variable at a time.

3. What is the purpose of finding partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are used in many fields of science, including physics, economics, and engineering, to analyze and model complex systems with multiple variables. They can also be used to optimize functions and find maximum or minimum values.

4. How do you find a partial derivative?

To find a partial derivative, you follow the same rules as finding a regular derivative, but treat all other variables as constants. This means taking the derivative of the function with respect to the given variable and leaving all other variables unchanged.

5. Can you give an example of a real-world application of partial derivatives?

One example of a real-world application of partial derivatives is in economics, where they are used to analyze supply and demand curves. By taking partial derivatives of the supply and demand functions, economists can determine how changes in one variable (such as price) affect the other (such as quantity demanded or supplied).