Show supremum of an interval made by a continuous, increasing function

In summary, the solution correctly shows that the supremum of the set {f(x)|x ϵ I and x < c} is equal to f(c), using the definition of continuity and the fact that f(c) is an upper bound for the set. The reasoning is clear and concise, demonstrating a good understanding of the concept.
k3k3

Homework Statement

Let f be an increasing function defined on an open interval I and let c ϵ I. Suppose f is continuous at c.

Prove sup{f(x)|x ϵ I and x < c} = f(c)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I is an open interval and c is not able to be an end point, then {f(x)|x ϵ I and x < c}. Also, since f(c) is an upper bound on {f(x)|x ϵ I and x < c}, the supremum exists for this set.

Let sup{f(x)|x ϵ I and x < c} = β

For x < c, f(x) < f(c) since f is an increasing function, then {f(x)|x ϵ I and x < c}→f(c)

Since β is the least upper bound, then β≤f(c)

Since {f(x)|x ϵ I and x < c}→f(c), f is continuous, and β is not in the set, β=f(c).

My question is if this is correct? Did I miss how to do it entirely or does this show it properly?

Physics news on Phys.org
I appreciate any help, thank you!

Hello,

Thank you for posting your solution to the forum post! Your solution looks correct and well-written. You have correctly used the definition of continuity to show that the supremum of the set is equal to f(c), and your reasoning is clear and concise. Great job!

Just one minor suggestion - you could mention in your solution that f(c) is indeed an upper bound for the set {f(x)|x ϵ I and x < c}. This will make your reasoning more complete and explicit.

Overall, your solution is well done and shows a good understanding of the concept. Keep up the good work!

What is the definition of a continuous, increasing function?

A function is considered continuous if it is defined at every point in its domain and has a smooth, unbroken graph. An increasing function is one whose output (y-value) increases as its input (x-value) increases.

What is the supremum of an interval?

The supremum of an interval is the least upper bound, or the highest value that is still within the interval. In other words, it is the largest value that is still smaller than all other values in the interval.

How do you show the supremum of an interval?

To show the supremum of an interval, you need to find the highest value within the interval that is still less than all other values in the interval. This can be done by graphing the function and visually identifying the highest point, or by using calculus to find the maximum value of the function within the interval.

Why is it important to consider continuity and increasingness when showing the supremum of an interval?

Continuity and increasingness are important because they ensure that the function has a well-defined supremum within the given interval. If the function is discontinuous or decreasing, the supremum may not exist or may be located outside of the interval.

What is the practical application of showing the supremum of an interval made by a continuous, increasing function?

Showing the supremum of an interval is useful in various areas of science, such as economics, where it can be used to determine the maximum profit or the highest possible price for a product. It is also important in optimization problems, where finding the highest or lowest value of a function within a given interval is the main objective.