Partial derivative query - guidance needed

The next-to-last term should have been$$\frac{\partial T}{\partial y}\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}.$$In summary, we have discussed how to find the second derivative of T with respect to t, given its dependencies on x, y, z, and t. We can do this by applying the derivative rules for products and using the known dependencies to simplify the expression.
petertheta
I have a question but have not seen an example or find anything in my textbooks so would love some advice on how to understand the problem.

Its a theory question on partial derivatives of the second order...

T=T(x,y,z,t) with x=x(t), y=y(t), z=z(t).

Find the second derivative of T wrt t

So, first find the first derivative to give:

[tex]\frac{dT}{dt} = \frac{\partial T}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt} +\frac{\partial T}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dt}+\frac{\partial T}{\partial z}\frac{dz}{dt}+\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}[/tex]

So I know the second derivative will be:
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{dT}{dt}\right)[/tex]

So now my question. How do i take derivatives of products of mixed derivatives and write it in a correct manner, albeit a theoretical one.

Your help means a lot.

PT

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
petertheta said:
I have a question but have not seen an example or find anything in my textbooks so would love some advice on how to understand the problem.

Its a theory question on partial derivatives of the second order...

T=T(x,y,z,t) with x=x(t), y=y(t), z=z(t).

Find the second derivative of T wrt t

So, first find the first derivative to give:

[tex]\frac{dT}{dt} = \frac{\partial T}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt} +\frac{\partial T}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dt}+\frac{\partial T}{\partial z}\frac{dz}{dt}+\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}[/tex]

So I know the second derivative will be:
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{dT}{dt}\right)[/tex]

So now my question. How do i take derivatives of products of mixed derivatives and write it in a correct manner, albeit a theoretical one.

Your help means a lot.

PT

Your dT/dt is a sum of four terms. Do you agree that you can take another d/dt of each term separately, then add the results? So, look at the first term
[tex] \frac{\partial T}{\partial x} \frac{dx}{dt}.[/tex] This has the form G(x,y,z)*v(t), where
[tex] G = \partial T/\partial x, \: v = dx/dt \text{ and } x = x(t), \:y = y(t), \:z = z(t).[/tex] Just apply your (d/dt) rule to G*v. Similarly for the other terms.

RGV

Thanks RGV. So would the first "set" be:

[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt}+\frac{dx}{dt}\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]
or better still...
[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt}+\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}[/tex]

Nope. Try again. I suggest you write the derivative first in terms of G(x,y,z,t) and v(t) and then use the fact that G=dT/dx and v=dx/dt.

OK. I'm struggling but I think this might be it...

[tex]\frac{\partial G}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt}+G\frac{dx}{dt}\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

Nope. It'll probably help to write out the variable dependencies explicitly. Applying the product rules gives
$$\frac{d}{dt}[G(x,y,z,t)v(t)] = \left(\frac{d}{dt} G(x,y,z,t)\right) v(t) + G(x,y,z,t)\frac{dv}{dt}.$$ Now look at your expression for dT/dt in your original post. You'll get the same sort of thing for dG/dt. I'll let you take it from here.

I get a different result everytime i try :(

OK. Third time lucky! For the first "element"

[tex]\frac{\partial G}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt}v(t)+G\frac{dv}{dt} [/tex]

Then substitute G and v for what is know...

[tex]\frac{\partial G}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt}\frac{dx}{dt}+\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}\frac{d}{dt}v[/tex]
So
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x^2}2\frac{dx}{dt}+\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}+...[/tex]

You seem to keep missing the point: G is a function of y, z, and t as well as x.

Also, are you really claiming that ##\frac{dx}{dt}\times\frac{dx}{dt} = 2\frac{dx}{dt}##?

Im only writing for the very first term from the first derivative to see if I'm on the right track how does it look??...

Sorry that was a typo for 2 times dx/dt

Ahh, I think I see your point. For the first term in the first derivative, when taking the second derivative I must do it for x,y,z and t. The the same for the second term... etc, etc... Is this correct??

Yup.

thats going to be a big answer! OK. So here we go just for the first term of the first derivative...

[tex]\frac{\partial^2T}{\partial x\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt}\frac{dx}{dt}+\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}
+
\frac{\partial^2T}{\partial x\partial y}\frac{dy}{dt}\frac{dx}{dt}+\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}

+
\frac{\partial^2T}{\partial x\partial z}\frac{dz}{dt}\frac{dx}{dt}+\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}
+
\frac{\partial^2T}{\partial x\partial t}\frac{dt}{dt}\frac{dx}{dt}+\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}...

[/tex]

Almost. It should be
$$\left(
\frac{\partial^2T}{\partial x^2}\frac{dx}{dt} +
\frac{\partial^2T}{\partial y\partial x}\frac{dy}{dt} +
\frac{\partial^2T}{\partial z\partial x}\frac{dz}{dt} +
\frac{\partial^2T}{\partial t\partial x}\right)\frac{dx}{dt} +
\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}$$ The last term only appears once.

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable while holding all other variables constant. It is commonly used in multivariable calculus and is denoted by the symbol ∂.

2. When do we use partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are used when we have a function with multiple variables and we want to analyze how changes in one variable affect the output of the function while keeping all other variables constant. They are commonly used in physics, economics, and engineering.

3. How do you calculate a partial derivative?

To calculate a partial derivative, we follow a similar process to calculating a regular derivative. We take the limit of the change in the function divided by the change in the variable of interest as the change in that variable approaches zero. However, in a partial derivative, we treat all other variables as constants and only take the derivative with respect to the variable of interest.

4. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

A partial derivative measures the rate of change of one variable with respect to another while holding all other variables constant. On the other hand, a total derivative measures the overall rate of change of a function with respect to all of its variables. In other words, a partial derivative is a specific case of a total derivative.

5. How is a partial derivative used in real-world applications?

Partial derivatives have many real-world applications, such as determining the optimal production level in economics, finding the maximum acceleration of a particle in physics, and optimizing the design of structures in engineering. They are also useful in data analysis and machine learning for understanding how different variables affect the outcome of a model.