Measuring Venus Perihelion: Challenges & Solutions

• Thread starter smokie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Venus
In summary, the perihelion advance of Venus is difficult to measure because it's almost a perfect circle and a perfect circle would have no perihelion. The perihelion advance of Mercury was solved by Einstein's theory of general relativity.
smokie
Why is it so hard to measure the perihelion advance of Venus?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Maybe because Venus' orbit is very round. It's almost a perfect circle, and a perfect circle would have no perihelion (or would it be correct to say that the entire orbit would be perihelion and apihelion at the same time?)

I'm just guessing here, but as Venus gets tugged around by other planets, its perihelion might almost instantly jump from one part of its orbit to another without actually advancing smoothly to that point. This being because in an almost perfect circle, a point even 180 degrees from perihelion just barely misses being the perihelion itself.

So it's kinda like the calculus problem, what is the slope at a cusp? Undefined, it can point in many different directions. For Venus, with its almost round orbit, which point is the Perihelion, and would the smallest little change affect which point would be considered Perihelion?

Something with a higher eccentricity such as Mars would never have this "perihelion identity crisis", and its perihelion advances in a periodic fashion.

Just my guess since I've never heard that it was hard to measure. :smile:

Well to be honest, I never heard that it was hard to measure either.
The prof was teaching us about Mercury's perihelion and how it baffled scientists for so long. Then Einstein's GR came along and solved the mystery. However, I never really understood the problem with Mercury's perihelion, so maybe if someone could clear that up that would be nice...

But so anyway, he then asked us for an assignment question, "Why is Venus's perihelion difficult to measure?"

The more I searched on the net, the more I found information regarding Mercury. The closest information I got towards Venus was that, "Mercury, Venus and Earth have a perihelion advance".

I'm actually quite lost with what they mean by perihelion advance too. Man I sound stupid today.

Well thanks for any input.

Mercury drifted a small amount from where it was predicted to be. Early theories suggested that a planet interior to Mercury was causing this. But Einstein's theory says that time runs at a different rate in the presence of a strong gravitational field. Mercury is close to the Sun, and Einstein's theory was all that was needed to clean up the slight discrepancy.

As far as advance of Perihelion:
Draw a long ellipse on a piece of paper. Make it point up and down. Then draw another one, same size and shape, but make it point sideways. Now picture all the positions inbetween. For the orientation of the orbit to get from the vertical drawing to the horizontal one, it precesses or advances. Not just the perihelion, but the whole thing. Perihelion is just a convinent point in the orbit to use as a reference. So in your vertical ellipse, if you place the Sun in the bottom focus, your perihelion is at the 6 o'clock position, and in your horizontal ellipse, your perihelion is at the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock position depending on which way it advanced.

With Venus, the orbit is round. Every point on the orbit is almost perihelion. One point will be the closest to the Sun, but it won't be much closer than the furthest point. The smallest little change can cause this point to drift chaotically and quickly to another part of the orbit.

Thanks a lot tony!

Smokie,
As a matter of interest, try calculating the 'length of advance' of perhelion of all the planets in the solar system, as opposed to the 'angular advance' Einstein used. Try and determine the length of the arc subtended by the angle of advance and you might realize something very interesting.
You can do this by either removing the correction term for the ellipticity of orbit from Einstein's equation ( r(1-e^2) ), or by using 6PiGM/c^2. Either way will give you dimensions of length, but the length will be the same for all planets regardless of distance from the sun.

Ian.

1. What is Venus perihelion and why is it important to measure?

Venus perihelion is the point in Venus's orbit around the sun where it is closest to the sun. It is important to measure because it helps us understand the dynamics of the solar system and how Venus's orbit is affected by the gravitational pull of the sun and other planets.

2. What are some of the challenges in measuring Venus perihelion?

One of the main challenges is accurately determining the exact position of Venus in relation to the sun and other planets. This requires precise measurements and calculations. Another challenge is accounting for the effects of Venus's thick atmosphere and its impact on the planet's orbit.

3. How have these challenges been addressed in the past?

In the past, scientists have used various methods such as ground-based telescopes, spacecraft missions, and radar measurements to determine Venus perihelion. These methods have helped to improve our understanding of Venus's orbit and its variations over time.

4. What are some of the current solutions being used to measure Venus perihelion?

Currently, scientists are using advanced technologies such as space-based telescopes, laser ranging techniques, and radio interferometry to measure Venus perihelion. These methods provide more accurate and precise measurements of Venus's position and its orbit.

5. How does measuring Venus perihelion contribute to our overall understanding of the solar system?

Studying Venus perihelion allows us to better understand the dynamics of the solar system and how the gravitational pull of the sun and other planets affect each other's orbits. This information can also help us make predictions about future changes in the solar system and contribute to our understanding of the formation and evolution of our planetary system.