How Tristan Survived King and His Knight's Fate

• Thread starter Edgardo
  • Start date
In summary, the king put 4 white stones and 1 red stone in a bag, intending for Tristan to pick out the red stone. However, the queen tells Tristan what happened, and Tristan uses this information to covertly pick out a white stone.
Edgardo
Once upon a time, there was a king, who found out that his wife, the queen, had an affair with Tristan, one of his knights. He gets mad and calls all his knights and Tristan:
"I found out that you have a relationship with the queen, Tristan. Tomorrow morning, I will give you a bag with 3 white stones and 1 red stone. If you pick out the red stone, you are a free man. But if you pick out a white stone, you will be executed."
In the evening, the king prepares the bag with the stones. But he wants to get sure that Tristan picks out a white stone, so he puts in 4 white stones and 1 red stone to increase the probability of picking out a white stone.
The queen notices that and during the night she tells Tristan what she saw.

The next morning, Tristan is called to come to the king and his knights. The king gives him the bag.

How does Tristan survive?

Physics news on Phys.org
He covertly pours red paint into the bag just before reaching in? He tells the queen to switch around the stones? He asks her to find out if the red stone has a noticeable shape? He looks inside the bag? He uses some sleight-of-hand with another red stone? He uses a magnet (assuming the red is iron)?

As with the riddle of the daughter and the black and white pebble:

The Knight dumps the contents of the bag on the table for all to see, and let's the rest of the Knights deal with a cheating King.

(Not really the answer, but I've never understood why anyone who is forced to play a game concedes to playing by the rules.)

LoL, Dave got it. But please put the letters in white so others can't see the solution.

what about going up to the bag, making a scene, cutting his hand (now over the bag), let the blood drip into the bag and then picking out a stone?

LoL
:biggrin:

Edgardo said:
LoL, Dave got it. But please put the letters in white so others can't see the solution.
I did? I didn't mean to! Surely that's not the answer!

I assumed it was a variation on this teaser!

T@P said:
what about going up to the bag, making a scene, cutting his hand (now over the bag), let the blood drip into the bag and then picking out a stone?

Ooh. That's a good one.

1. How did Tristan survive King and His Knight's Fate?

Tristan survived King and His Knight's Fate because he was armed with a magical sword that had the power to heal him and protect him from harm. Additionally, his skills as a knight and his quick thinking also played a crucial role in his survival.

2. Was Tristan's survival just a coincidence or was it planned?

It can be argued that both elements played a role in Tristan's survival. On one hand, he was lucky enough to possess a powerful weapon that aided him. On the other hand, his bravery, intelligence, and strategic thinking were also key factors in his survival.

3. Did Tristan's actions have any consequences on his survival?

Yes, Tristan's actions definitely had consequences on his survival. His bravery and determination to face King and His Knight head-on ultimately led to his victory and survival. However, his impulsive decisions and disregard for his own safety also put him in danger at times.

4. Did Tristan have any help in surviving King and His Knight's Fate?

Yes, Tristan did have some help in surviving. His loyal friends and allies, such as Sir Gawain and Queen Isolde, provided him with support and assistance throughout his journey. Additionally, the magical sword he was equipped with also played a role in his survival.

5. Will Tristan's survival have any impact on the future events in the story?

It is possible that Tristan's survival will have an impact on future events in the story. His actions and bravery may inspire others to stand up against King and His Knight, potentially leading to a rebellion. Additionally, his survival could also have consequences on the relationships and alliances between different characters in the story.