Partial Derivative Signs Through Level Curves

In summary, the student is trying to solve for the slopes of the tangent lines to the function at point P, but does not understand how to do it. He is asking for help with understanding how to do the procedure for solving for the slopes, and understanding why the slope is positive for certain points on the function.
1question

Homework Statement

Question 2 from http://math.berkeley.edu/~mcivor/math53su11/solutions/hw6solution.pdf here.

I do not understand b) and e). How do I think of the slope with respect to y?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I do know that the partial derivatives are the slopes of the tanget lines. I do know that fx < 0 as the slope is negative there (at point P), but I do not understand how the slop in terms of y looks.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you say "the slope", it's not clear what you mean because there is a slope in every direction from P for this function. If you did the correct procedure to figure out the sign of fx you should be able to do the exact same thing to figure out fy - why don't you elaborate on how you did fx?

Office_Shredder said:
When you say "the slope", it's not clear what you mean because there is a slope in every direction from P for this function. If you did the correct procedure to figure out the sign of fx you should be able to do the exact same thing to figure out fy - why don't you elaborate on how you did fx?

Well, the way I solved for fx was as follows: draw a cross section of the function's 2D hill image (similar to y=1/x). Then place my point p. As the line tangent through P has a negative slope, fx is negative. Actually, I would appreciate help with getting fxx as well - I don't understand how "b/c the x-slope becomes less negative as we move right" correlates with fxx. If fx is the tangent to the curve, then what is fxx geometrically? Answering that would help me a lot.

EDIT: Just googled the second derivative. Now I remember that it tells us the concavity of the quadratic. In this case, is that why fxx is positive? Is that the entire solution to part c) ?

Thanks.

Last edited:

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in multivariate calculus to describe how a function changes with respect to one of its variables while holding other variables constant. It is denoted by ∂ (partial) and can be thought of as the slope of a function in a specific direction.

2. How do you find the partial derivative of a function with multiple variables?

To find the partial derivative of a function with multiple variables, you need to take the derivative with respect to one variable while treating all other variables as constants. This can be done by using the appropriate derivative rules, such as the power rule or chain rule.

3. What do the level curves represent in a partial derivative?

The level curves in a partial derivative represent the points where the partial derivative has a constant value. They are also known as contour lines and can be used to visualize the behavior of a function in multiple dimensions.

4. How do you interpret the signs of partial derivatives on level curves?

The signs of partial derivatives on level curves indicate the direction of change of the function in a specific direction. A positive sign indicates that the function is increasing in that direction, while a negative sign indicates a decrease. Additionally, the magnitude of the partial derivative can also indicate the rate of change.

5. What is the relationship between partial derivatives and total derivatives?

Partial derivatives are a special case of total derivatives, which describe the overall change of a function with respect to all its variables. While partial derivatives focus on a specific direction, total derivatives take into account changes in all directions. Partial derivatives can be used to find the total derivative of a multivariable function by taking the sum of all partial derivatives with respect to each variable.