Should I include online helpers as collaborators on a scientific paper?

• Thread starter dkotschessaa
  • Start date
In summary, Dave has been working on a mathematical modeling project, and if he completes his contribution he may be listed as one of the authors on a paper with other oncologists and one mathematical biologist. However, he has been receiving online help from someone online and is unsure if the code he has written works. He plans to ask his mentor or the lead investigator of the paper for advice before listing this person's contribution.
dkotschessaa
I am working on a bit of a mathematical modeling project, and if I get my small contribution done my name will likely end up as one of the contributors to a paper, with a lot of other names, mostly oncologists and one mathematical biologist, who is my mentor.

However, given some of my struggles with Matlab, I've received online help from someone online. I waited as long as I could to ask for help, because I was trying to use this as a learning opportunity. However, the person who responded to my inquiry was very gracious, and even wrote re-wrote some of my code for me. (I'm still not sure if it works.)

At one point does one go from a helper to a collaborator? If this does work, should I include this person's name? The person who is helping me doesn't really know what the research is about, as I communicated the bare amount of information needed to solve the specific problem. I would like to do the right thing here, so any advice is appreciated.

-Dave K

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like a personal choice to me if it's sort of "close to the line", but in general I think that generosity towards others is always a helpful life choice.

This sort of thing differs greatly from one field to another. Maybe you should mention it to your advisor, tell her/him the help you were given and let her/him make the call.

phinds said:
Seems like a personal choice to me if it's sort of "close to the line", but in general I think that generosity towards others is always a helpful life choice.

Yes, me too.

dkotschessaa said:
I am working on a bit of a mathematical modeling project, and if I get my small contribution done my name will likely end up as one of the contributors to a paper, with a lot of other names, mostly oncologists and one mathematical biologist, who is my mentor.

It seems to me you should start by asking your mentor or the lead investigator of the paper first. If you feel strongly that this person has made a significant contribution to the paper and are bent on listing them as an author, then you certainly need to ask them if they'd like to be listed as one.

Typically, though, in these types of situations, you would list this person's contributions under the "acknowledgments" section of the paper. That's what that section is there for. You really don't need anyone's permission to list them there, and they are almost always appreciative of the nod.

DiracPool said:
It seems to me you should start by asking your mentor or the lead investigator of the paper first. If you feel strongly that this person has made a significant contribution to the paper and are bent on listing them as an author, then you certainly need to ask them if they'd like to be listed as one.

Typically, though, in these types of situations, you would list this person's contributions under the "acknowledgments" section of the paper. That's what that section is there for. You really don't need anyone's permission to list them there, and they are almost always appreciative of the nod.

Good point. I'll check on going along those lines.

Thanks all.

-Dave K

1. What is "Credit for online helpers"?

"Credit for online helpers" refers to the practice of giving recognition or acknowledgment to individuals who have provided assistance or support in an online setting. This can include tasks such as answering questions, providing guidance, or sharing resources.

2. How is credit typically given to online helpers?

Credit for online helpers can be given in a variety of ways, such as through a thank-you message or comment, a mention or shout-out on social media, or a recommendation or review on a platform such as LinkedIn. Some online communities also have specific systems in place for giving credit to helpers, such as points or badges.

3. Why is it important to give credit to online helpers?

Giving credit to online helpers is important because it acknowledges and appreciates the time, effort, and expertise that they have contributed to a community or project. It also encourages a culture of collaboration and support, which can benefit both the helper and the person receiving assistance.

4. What are some ways to ensure proper credit is given to online helpers?

One way to ensure proper credit is given to online helpers is to establish clear guidelines or expectations for giving credit within a specific online community or project. This can include guidelines for how and when to give credit, as well as guidelines for what types of contributions are eligible for credit. It's also important to regularly review and monitor the giving of credit to ensure that it is fair and consistent.

5. Are there any potential challenges or issues with giving credit to online helpers?

One potential challenge with giving credit to online helpers is ensuring that credit is given where it is due. In some cases, it may be difficult to determine who exactly provided assistance or support, especially in larger online communities. Another challenge is ensuring that credit is given in a fair and equitable manner, and that certain individuals or groups are not consistently overlooked or undervalued in the giving of credit.