Nuclear Bomb & Missile Delivery: Urgent Help Needed

In summary, the author is considering talking about equations that approximate blast radius and damage of an atomic bomb. However, they are unsure of where to start. They ask for help from someone who knows about mathematical analysis of the blast radius and damage.
uraknai
Hi,

as part of my third year degree in Maths I have to give a 10 minute oral presentation of the atom bomb :eek: . I'll start off by quickly giving a historical overview of the experiments that led up to the discovery of radioactivity and the model of the atom etc and then intend to focus on about 2 or 3 main areas.

I was thinking about talking about some equations that approximate blast radius and damage etc and also do some work on trajectories which would have been inportant for intercontinental missiles during the Cold War. The problem I have is that I really can't find anything about the A-Bomb from a mathematical view point.

Can someone please give me a point in the right direction with a few useful links and helpful advice. Also, is there any other topic that I could explore associated with the a-bomb from a strictly mathematical stand.

Cheers :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Dig up G.I. Taylor's dimensional analysis solution for the blast radius. From that he approximated the released energy. Or something like that. I heard that example on a course a couple of years ago so I'm not sure on the details. Try googling the relevant terms.

I think , starting with some simplicity , if you know complete dynamics about the trajectory of rocket propulsion, it will help , I an atom bomb , fission takes place and if you take that mass is exhausted by the missile carrying the atom bomb , it almost resembles a rocket trajectory .

As the mass is emitted by the missile , the missile carrying the atom bomb goes forward.The equation is given by:

[itex]

F_ext = M_o \frac{dv}{dt} + V_r \frac {dM}{dt}
[/itex]

Where [itex]V_r[/itex] is the relative velocity between exhaust gases and the missile .

dM/dt = Change in mass of the rocket with time...

You can also add the effects of "g" on the missile by taking the [itex] F_ext [/itex]
in context with "g"

==============================================================

I will try to chalk out some more for you ...give me some time..

Try the high energy weapons page

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/

I believe it's under "effects", but I didn't double check. The whole page is a good resource for your subject.

1. What is a nuclear bomb and how does it work?

A nuclear bomb, also known as a nuclear weapon, is a type of explosive device that derives its destructive force from nuclear reactions. It works by splitting atoms of radioactive material, known as fission, or by combining atoms, known as fusion. This release of energy creates a powerful explosion that can cause widespread destruction.

2. What are the potential consequences of a nuclear bomb being detonated?

The consequences of a nuclear bomb being detonated are catastrophic. The immediate impact includes a massive explosion, intense heat, and a shockwave that can cause destruction within a radius of several miles. The resulting nuclear fallout can also have long-term effects, including radiation sickness, environmental damage, and long-term health effects.

3. How are nuclear bombs delivered?

Nuclear bombs can be delivered through various means, including ballistic missiles, airplanes, and submarines. Ballistic missiles are the most common method and can be launched from land or sea. Airplanes can also carry nuclear bombs and can be dropped from high altitudes to reach their targets. Submarines can launch nuclear missiles from the ocean, making them difficult to detect.

4. What is the role of missile defense systems in preventing nuclear attacks?

Missile defense systems are designed to intercept and destroy incoming ballistic missiles before they reach their intended targets. These systems use a variety of technologies, such as interceptors, radar, and sensors, to detect and track incoming missiles. While they can help prevent some attacks, they are not foolproof and may not be able to stop all nuclear missiles.

5. How urgent is the need for help in addressing nuclear bomb and missile delivery?

The need for help in addressing nuclear bomb and missile delivery is extremely urgent. With the advancement of technology, more countries have access to nuclear weapons, increasing the risk of a nuclear attack. It is crucial for governments and international organizations to work together to prevent the use of these weapons and mitigate their effects if they are ever used.